ABS, should I replace them?

Wow, more great advice, for which I thank art1966, andrew j & lprocter for your continued attention . . . I’m more impressed as this goes forward. I think it’s safe to say, that, given the age and mileage on the car, the amount I’ve put into it over time, which would not translate into return dollars, selling the car has never been a consideration. At best, it will be a trade in someday or (more likely) when it comes to the end of its natural life, we’ll donate it to the local NPR station; Red River Radio (shameless plug!) But that’s down the line

I concur with lprocter’s assessment of the inadvisability of trading one set of known problems for a different, unknown set of problems, which could be worse, and which would cost a similar amount to fix. The only caveat might be if I traded the Explorer for a vehicle of greater stability, say with the anti-rollover device thingey (technical term). I might add here that I’ve always opted for the beefiest suspension system available. I’ve never thought a cushy ride was worth the trade-off in handling. I HATE trying to drive ‘mushy’ cars. But I digress. I suppose that, if I found the right vehicle for the right price, then the trade-in value (such as it is) on the Explorer plus the $1600 cost of getting the ABS fixed might approach the value of a newer vehicle that might exceed ‘crapmobile’ status. Of course, the Explorer is less ‘tippy’ than some other SUV’s.

Also, as long as we’re comparing vehicles, there is the trade-off in the relative safety provided by a larger chassis, like the Explorer has, vs a smaller car that might offer greater stability. Let’s throw into the mix that this car will primarily be used as transportation to and from school (185 miles). The students at Gabe’s college rarely use their vehicles, as there’s so much to do on campus. Therefore, there’s something to be said for a vehicle that will hold all his ‘stuff’ to and from college at the beginning & end of the year(s) ((ever the optimist)).

To address lprocter’s point about ‘topping off’ . . we don’t. I’ve hammered that into my offspring (ecologically unsound). I keep a fuel/mileage log in my own vehicle . . have for many years. I’ve tried to get the kids to do the same, and Gabe may start doing that . . I’ve given up on the daughter for now. Maybe once she starts buying her own cars, but that just may be my optimism again.

So I guess, in summary, I’d say that at this point it seems like it’s worth getting the repair done. I’ll go to the Mechanics Files & see what I can see. Wish me luck!! Also (best case scenario) maybe if I hint that I’m thinking about going elsewhere, the guys at the dealership may suddenly be inspired to get more creative about the pricing, though I’m not holding my breath on that. I know they have guidelines that they pretty much have to conform to. They really are a decent bunch, though . . at least in my experience so far. Of course, that could be because of the $$ in their eyes . . . On that subject; I think I’ll also ask them to check the charcoal canister, and also to address the issues TR35R raised; replacing the brake fluid and tapping the unit/sensors gently to see if the electrical connectors are firm. They’re going to be so impressed with me!!

Again, many, many thanks for everyone who’s contributing to my education here. I had no idea I’d get such a great response, and it’s really gratifying to learn that there are so many people out there who’ll take the time to answer. Geaux Car Talk folks!

I don’t know what an ABS being ’ out ’ means but there are reasonably priced ways to repair the system . Look up ModuleMaster on the web and see what they have to say . I just had them rebuild my car’s ABS computer and the repair works well and has a five year warranty . Total cost , shipping and all , was less than $ 250 .

Ha! If the stereo fails, he can fix it himself, if it’s so important to him! I am having a problem finding a seat belt. The guys at the shop say they’ll have to come from a junkyard. I’m going to try after-market sources. I totally agree that those of us who have survived to a ‘certain age’ did, indeed learn to drive without ABS’s. Of course, the operative term there is ‘survived’, which I sincerely want my kid to do. I agree with Craig (below) that it’s tempting to send them to a high-performance driving school. I actually did send Gabe to driving school last year for an ‘in-depth’ driving training course, but, if one isn’t driving all the time, those skills deteriorate. I’m thinking of getting a Bradley for him . . .

“I’m thinking of getting a Bradley for him . . .”

I understand, I have a 16 year old daughter that doesn’t drive yet, but will be driving soon. I honestly don’t know what type of car to buy for her. I don’t really want to get her a top-heavy SUV (although she would probably like a jeep), I’ll probably just buy her something pretty new with full time AWD. I do know that she’s not getting the motorcycle she wants until she gets some driving experience. I have serious though about sender her to a performance driving school once she gets her own car.

In my experience the ABS was only useful when I encountered unexpected slippery roads, and I have excaped a skid with its use. In the wintertime this can occur often. If I was driving the Explorer, I wouldn’t have it done. If it was my son…depends on his skills.

If it were me, and I was going to drive it, I’d probably not fix it. I learned to drive in Winter conditions without ABS in a 1967 Mustang, which is not a stable car. But, for a relatively new driver I’d likely get it fixed. Maybe find an independent mechanic to try something less than a full-blown, replace everything, approach the dealer seems to want.

I’d definitely get the fuel gauge fixed first. There may be some loose connection in the dash that is causing both the ABS light and the fuel gauge problem (unlikely, but possible), so I wouldn’t be too quick to go with the whole hog solution on the brakes before finding out what the deal with the gauge is.

If they joined the military, there would be plenty of opportunity to drive vehicles without any add-on support functions; in other words, real world units with detailed feel of the road. I really learned to drive in army trucks and halftracks. Lots of fun, except some models required double clutching because of non-synchro gears.

Agree that the best source of seat belts is a wreck where the collision was not head-on; that would possible have over-stetched the belts. New OEM belts are very expensive, if you can get them. There should be plenty of Explorer wrecks.

Both my wife and I have taken Defensive Driving courses; a real eye opener as to how to react to unexpected situations. My wife also took an in-depth winter driving course in a car without ABS. These courses teach you how to handle skids, slides, how to get out of deep snow, etc. Police departments have similar courses.

I taught my son personally how to drive on icy and snowy backroads before he went for his final test. He has been driving for nearly 20 years and only had one slight fender bender. There is no real substitute for learning how to drive proactively.

My answer depends on where you live. If your son drives on ice and snow, get the ABS fixed. If you live where the weather is always nice, I would feel better about not getting it fixed.