ABS Light On - 95 Honda Accord Ex

Hello -

If anyone can help advise… thanks.

95 Honda Accord

4DR 4CYL EX

The ABS Light is On.

Is it more than likely my ABS Sensor?

Is this a common problem?

Is there an easy way to check which sensor is the problem? Can I use a test light to check it? If yes, what do I touch to check it?

Only once in the last year did I brake hard enough that one tire locked up. Can I just do a very hard brake and see which tire locks up and just replace that sensor or is that a bad idea?

Thanks for any help in advance. Michael

With that light on the car should have some way of telling you why it is on. I am not sure how that data is accessed on your car. You could try stopping by an Advanced Auto Parts or an Autozone and ask them if they can check the codes in your car. Assuming they can it should be free.

Bring the actual codes (like P0123) back here, not just the English translation.

The ABS controller has detected a problem, and disabled the entire system. The only way to know what is wrong is to get the system scanned for codes. Trying to lock up the tires to find the one that hs a bad sensor is not going to work. The whole ABS system is shut down. The regular brakes are fine, and the tires will lock up. The ABS system will not kick in to prevent the tires from locking up.

The ABS system is more than just wheel sensors. For this problem, don’t start replacing parts hoping to hit the right problem. It will get expensive quick. Get the codes read. I cannot stress that any more strongly.

I agree with the others that the light can only tell you that a problem exists and that the ABS is disabled. We cannot even begin to guess the nature of the problem.

The only way to find out about repairs is to visit a shop that handles ABS problems. Not all garages are willing to tackle that system. As for reading codes, don’t waste your time trying for a free reading. The auto parts stores that offer this courtesy read only the driving computer. The ABS has a separate computer.

In the meantime, the ABS light will continue to burn. There is no urgency to tackle this problem since you still have normal braking. Many olders of older cars simply forgo repairs entirely on malfunctioning ABS. As long as there is no problem with state inspections, they prefer to decline the expense. This is an acceptable solution, IMHO.