Abs lamp

Got a 1999 Ford F150 and the ABS lamp comes on when I turn the key to start, then goes out for a couple oc seconds, then comes back on and won’t go out! I checked all the fuses associated with the ABS circuit, and the level of brake fluid is OK! Breaks seem to operate OK otherwise.

The dealer wants my right arm, left foot and my first & second borns to fix. Being retired and on a fixed income, I’m also looking for an honest mechanic here in the Frederick, MD area that can help me.

It means that something is wrong with your ABS system and likely it will not function. However it does not mean that there is any reason to suspect any problems with your regular brakes.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee. 

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.  [b][/b][b]

[b]When you first start the vehicle, the ABS does a self diagnostics. Both electrically and hydraulically. If the ABS controller detects a problem with either of these systems, the ABS light will come back on. So, what I would check first are the wheel speed sensors.

If one of the wheel speed sensors has a poor connection or has stopped working altogether, the ABS controller will detect this. And the ABS light will stay on.

Anytime the ABS light comes on, always check the wheel speed sensors and their tone rings first. Because 90% of the time, that’s why the light is on.

Tester[/b]

Thanks for the insight, i will try to find a reasonable mechanic.

First I want to thank you for information.
I guess as we get older we tend to forget things… Earlier on my dad owned the original Firestone Franchise in Wheaton, MD, back in the 1950’s and I grew up in the shop. I learned a lot about motors, breaks, & of course tires. But thats been a long time ago, and I haven’t kept up with the electronic additions to the breaking systems…
I picked up a copy of a “Haynes Repair Manual”, but it doesn’t appear to show all the placements of different items - like the wheel sensors, etc… Is there a better book to purchase? Also, I picked up a pocket meter that is suspossed to read codes - does the ABS system produce codes like the rest of the systems?
I have a disability, MDS, that makes it hard for me to still creep around under the chassis of the truck, & thats why I was lQQking for a reasonable mechanic in my area.