A vintage car paradise in Berlin

Classic Remise – Berlin, Germany - Atlas Obscura

Be sure to look at all of the pics!

1 Like

You know it’s a good collection when the Aston Martin is one of the least interesting cars in the building. :wink:

Looks like a great way to spend an afternoon in Berlin. There is another in Düsseldorf, too. I found that out by going tot he Remise Berlin website.

Closer to home, you could go the the Swigart Museum, a privately owned collection in Huntingdon, PA. The first cars were purchased in 1920. There is a 1929 Deusenberg Speedster with a 12 cylinder engine; the only one in existence. Swigart outbid Jay Leno for the Deusie. After the auction, Leno said he was outbid by some farmer in Pennsylvania. They have other unique cars too. For those of you into kitsch, Herbie the Love Bug lives there too.

http://www.swigartmuseum.com/

1 Like

Collectors store their cars in 1 place? Security?
I heard a rear view mirror for some is $5000

Classic Auto Mall in Morgantown, PA is sort of like that. It’s an abandoned mall that was turned into an automobile showroom for people that want to sell their classic cars. You can tour it for free and go home with a souvenir.

1 Like

Speaking of car museums in PA, this one is on my agenda for a visit in the very near future, now that they have re-opened:
http://americaonwheels.org/

Nicola Bulgari–the wristwatch and jewelry billionaire–has his own private collection of American cars nearby, and he sits on the Board of Directors for the America on Wheels Museum. Additionally, he occasionally lends one of this cars to that museum for temporary display.

1 Like

I missed that when I was in college? I was no more than 10 miles away for four years! That assumes it was open 50 years ago. Looks like a lot of fun. Don’t forget the Simeone museum if you like racing cars. Every car in the Simeone runs and is driven.

1 Like

I visited that place recently in PA and i was in AWE! Especially the Barn Finds section. Strongly recommended for y’all to visit that place. Right off the expensive PA turnpike unfortunately but worth it!

Cool car. I did not know about that Duesenberg. A lower cost Duesie with a Lycoming V12. One of one.

If you like going into caves and old car museums, I would suggest the Luray Caverns in the Shenandoah Valley In Virginia. There is one of the best cave experiences you can get in that state, a couple of museums and the car museum all on one ticket.

The car collection is one of the earliest car collections in the U.S. The collector was a local doctor who began collecting cars when every one else was just throwing them away. The newest car in the collection is from the 40’s when the doctor had to stop collecting due to age and health. There are many cars in the collection that are the last remaining example. It also has an 1898 Mercedes Benz, the first car to have a carburetor and was actually drivable over a wide range of conditions.

1 Like

No!

If that is what the museum is claiming and you are repeating, it is–unfortunately–a perpetuation of Nazi propaganda. The actual inventor of the carburetor, and the inventor of a workable car that predated both Daimler and Benz by quite a few years was Siegfried Marcus, of Vienna.

Because Marcus committed the unpardonable “sin” of being Jewish, the Nazis created the myth that Daimler and Benz created their cars–and the carburetor–before Marcus. If not for the folks at the Vienna Technical Museum who hid Marcus’s car from the Nazis, we wouldn’t have the proof that he predated those German inventors by quite a few years.

I find it reprehensible that Mercedes-Benz has chosen to perpetuate the myths created by the Nazi regime, simply to make themselves seem like the innovators that they were NOT. It is bad enough that this company aided and abetted the Nazi regime, but to continue to spread lies that originated with the Nazi regime is beneath contempt, IMHO

1 Like

Lighten up dude. The museum was not claiming that this was the first car to have a carburetor. I thought that it was odd that they didn’t. I added that because I had heard about it from another source, long ago and I don’t remember what the source was. It was probably a car magazine as I used to subscribe to just about every one of them in my youth.

I stand corrected though. Now I know something I didn’t know a couple of minutes ago.

Edit: You got me interested in the history of the carburetor so I did a little internet searching. Siegfried Marcus was the first to patent a carburetor, but not the first to invent one. According to Wikipedia and a couple of other on line encyclopedias, the carburetor was invented about 50 years earlier by Samual Moray, but for stationary engines. Marcus designed his carburetor to use on a motor vehicle, but he only built 4 vehicles in his lifetime. He destroyed the first one because it didn’t work, the second survives, three and four are lost.

The carburetor invented by Benz was the first to have a float. The Benz brothers used it on motorized bicycles/motorcycles then finally on cars. Despite the Nazi “cleansing” of Jewish history, the Benz vehicles were the first production vehicles to use a carburetor.

None of these carburetors are like anything we use today. I tried to find out who made the first venturi type carburetor, but alas that information does not appear to be available on the internet. The only reference I found was that it was some time in the 1920’s.

BTW, a lot of references on the internet still attribute the invention of the carburetor to Karl Benz, I was not alone in that misconception.

If in Northern IL the Volo car museum could be fun.
https://www.volocars.com/the-attraction/exhibits

1 Like

An engine with cylinders? Like a steam locomotive? Some engineer asked how do we make the pistons move? Energy? What’s the old term for it? Internal explosion engine? Train barons liked that term.