A Power Struggle Over Cobalt Rattles the Clean Energy Revolution

Really interesting article on the state we’re all in. (NYT) . Am unable to send the link,but if interested, I can copy&paste the entire text.

Some of the newer designs in progress use carbon instead of cobalt. They make the carbon out of cotton. Makes you wonder now that Ford is building a battery plant out in the middle of a cotton patch.

interesting. I never knew that. I learn something new all the time here.

1 Like

You can’t copy and paste an article behind a pay wall due to copy right issues and the rules here. Just sayin’.

I can’t read the article but from another source it seems that US holdings on cobalt in Africa were sold out to the Chinese a few years ago. I didn’t bother reading that whole article either. But see any parallels with the push for electrics and China attempting to corner the market? We won WW II largely because we choked the energy supply for Germany.

Comrade Bing out.

“I can’t read the article but from another source it seems that US holdings on cobalt in Africa were sold out to the Chinese a few years ago.”
Yes.
“We won WW II largely because we choked the energy supply for Germany”.
I’m assuming the energy supply was Poland, France, etc.- places that were liberated.
Interestingly, seems that China is focused on state-owned control of companies, while WW2 Germany privatized state-owned companies; two opposite directions with the intention of creating powerful, self-sustaining economies. Complicated and who benefits? Mercifully, this forum is apolitical:)

Ummm… no…
If you had been a student in my US History class :wink:, you would have known about the various US air attacks on Romania, which… eventually… destroyed Germany’s access to Romania’s rich oil resources:

2 Likes

Additionally the Allies cut off Japan’s drive to capture the oil reserves in the South Pacific. It greatly affected the ability of their navy fight after what they’d hoped would be a crippling blow to the US navy in the Pacific.

1 Like

I watched this recently:

Because they are communists and that is their political system.

Because they weren’t communists.

Okay, but my intention was that their energy was sourced from defeated nations. Thanks for the info.

I figured we knew that.!

China’s state owned companies are directed to do whatever China tells them to do. If that is to capture strategic resources, they do. No matter the cost to the company, the Africans, or the environment. Heck, they foul their own land and enslave their own people here in 2021, why not another continent’s?

Public or private companies can’t be commanded to do that except under some variant of authoritarian government. WW2 Germans, for example.

1 Like

exactly what I meant

1 Like

… from oil deposits in Poland and France?
:smirk:

pierogis and pinot noir—

China is trying to fund/build for free many projects in Africa. Or any other place. They use the financial obligation to control that nations govt. I say let them build it and then tell China to kiss off. But they have their hyper missiles now. Why does China need 1000 hyper missiles that can circle the earth?