A look at the gas stations of tomorrow

Hazelnuts goes well with cocoa. Ask any Nutella freak. I make ebelskivers for the Mrs every Saturday morning and at least seven of them are filled with Nutella.

Suggestion: if you want to score points with the wifey, give her an ebelskiver pan for Christmas and tell her it’s the gift that keeps on giving. The second half of the gift is that you will make her ebelskivers on Saturday or Sunday forever. The other good news is that you get to eat them, too. Works for me. Occasionally I suggest making something else on Saturday, and she wants ebelskivers, with Nutella.

Yes, but Nutella contains real hazelnuts. Those “hazelnut” coffees are all artificially-flavored, and therein lies the difference–especially the nasty odor.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know about flavored coffees since I don’t drink them. I smell them at work when others make them in the Keurig machine, and they often smell good. I’m just not into them for drinking.

Nutella is good, though. My niece’s favorite snack is pretzel sticks dipped in Nutella. She doesn’t even gain weight! It’s nice to be 19…

Saab had awful cupholders.

Only ONE in the entire 5 passenger car, fits a can of Coke but won’t prevent spillage unless its less than 2/3rds full AND Saab sold a special coffee travel mug that is the ONLY mug that fits properly! :laughing:

We must have had blue (light) laws when I was a kid. Service stations, grocery stores, and restaurants were open on Sunday.

Saab also had many other awful things. The Buick dealer I worked for also sold Saabs and Opels. Everyone in the service department spelled Saab S.O.B.!

My wife LOVES her Saab. I am keeping it alive for just that reason.

It has actually been a pretty good and reliable car over the 16 years and 100K+ miles.

I know people who own and love Saabs because they are different (quirky). I don’t know any professional mechanics who enjoy quirky vehicles.

One afternoon, when my brother was picking-up my nephew’s Saab after its umpteenth repair, his trusted mechanic said, “There’s just one thing that I don’t understand about Saabs”.
My brother asked, “What’s that, Henry?”
Henry’s reply was, “Why they bother to make the damn things!”

Clearly, Henry did not like working on Saabs.

Back in the early 1960s when I was about to buy my first car, a mechanic who I worked for mowing his yard advised me to stick with Fords or Chevrolets as more aftermarket parts were available. Sears, Montgomery Ward, Western Auto, etc. were more apt to have fuel pumps, carburetors, etc, and at more reasonable prices. The 1954 Buick I had back then had a long, narrow rectangular battery, a group 3EE that cost almost twice what a Chevrolet battery cost.

Also, back in the good old days when filling stations were service stations, these stations were more apt to have parts, correct size tires and batteries for Fords and Chevrolets than other makes.

The station at which I worked in the late '60s was located on the NJ Turnpike, but we really did have a couple of guys who were decent seat-of-the-pants mechanics. One day, I decided to take a good look at the stock of spark plugs in our store room, and all I can say is that if you were driving an old Ford with a flat-head V-8, you would have been in luck. Unfortunately, those were the only spark plugs that we had in stock.
:unamused:

Back to cup holders. My vote would be for GM to be the worst for cup holders, although I think the other domestic manufacturers were the same way. I don’t ever remember any GM car having cup holders until recently. I had to make them for my Rivieras. I think the Japanese started it due to their attempts at customer satisfaction and discovered people really did want them. Big surprise, huh? Then everyone else finally got with it. Even had to make my own for my lawn mower but now they are standard.

The placement though is still somewhat questionable. Most of them are in the center console and I remember my wife’s cell phone sliding into my cup of coffee when I needed to make a quick stop. Took some drying out but still worked.

@VDCdriver Back in the late a1950s, my parents had a 1954 Buick, a 1952 Dodge, a Lawnboy two stroke mower, a rototiller with a Lauson engine and a three horsepower Evinrude outboard boat motor. All the engines ran on Champion J8 sparkplugs or the equivalent. We could buy a big box of spark plugs and tune up everything.

My 1998 Regal had cup holders, and every GM car I’ve had since then (3) has cup holders.

But, could those plugs have been used in a Ford flathead V-8?
If not, then my Citgo station would have had no use for them.
:wink:

@VDCdriver
I don’t think the Champion J8 would work in the Ford flathead V8. In the late 1960s, the Ford flathead V-8 had been out of production for 15 years. Back then, 10 years was about the life of a car. I would bet those spark plugs had been there for years. I used to trade at a Sunoco station in the late 1960s through 1975. There were some 6.75 x 15 tires that had not been sold. Many cars had dropped down to 14" wheels by then. These tires were rotting away in the inventory.

I owned a 99 Suburban that had more cupholders than seats! And it would seat 8 people with the 3rd row.

There was one jutting out from the dash that the AC duct hit on directly. Kept my cold drinks cold in the summer. In the winter, I used another of the 3 cupholders in the front seat… that held only 2 people. :smiley:

You folks are way too modern. I was referring to the GM cars of the 70’s and 80’s that had no cup holders. Our 95 did have limited use cup holders that didn’t require me making some.

Too late to save an old flathead that actually was used to power a welding machine to thaw water services, I thought the old flathead 8 might be worth something to someone somewhere, but got scrapped before I could even think about it. Just so ya know, we hook one side to say a hydrant, the other to the water service inside the house, kick on the machine, and it heats the pipes enough to melt the frozen service, now I do not understand why the guys in the basement never get electrocuted disconnecting it with their bare hands once the water starts flowing, but always was on the other end of that exercise by choice.