A look at the gas stations of tomorrow

Yeah I like a good cup of coffee and grinding the beans is the best. I just don’t take the time though so we use the Keurig with the coffee pods. It allows us to each have the coffee we want a cup at a time. The wife likes hazelnut but I can’t even stand the smell of it, and if you brew hazelnut in a pot, you can still taste it in the next pot. So the Keurig is a good way to go for us, even though they seem not to last very long.

Yes!
Our school nurse used to brew a small pot of “hazelnut” (obviously some sort of synthetic flavoring) coffee, and if I went into her office I immediately became nauseated by the smell of it. After a few asthmatic kids developed more severe breathing problems upon entering her office, she finally relented and stopped brewing that awful stuff.

1 Like

I’ve seen gas stations here sell Starbucks or Dunkin inside the store. A store in a store. My wife drinks her coffee black…and prefers Starbucks over anything else. We have a Keurig at home - which according to her is second place behind Starbucks.

I guess it comes down to personal opinion…

Save your money.

A few years ago, CR “road tested” coffee (taste test opinions) and McDonald’s beat out the others, including Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts!

Save more of your money!

Interesting is the report’s final recommendation,
“make your own coffee — just call it something special.”

CSA

Wife HATES McDonalds coffee. It comes down to personal taste.

I HATE Budweiser and Miller light beers…and I know I’m in the minority there. Give me a Sam Light or now a Sam Summer Ale any day over anything Bud makes. The Bud Brewery tours are great though.

I’m just glad I don’t have a chemical dependency on caffeine and don’t suffer from coffee snobbery…

;-]

I do it just to infuriate you, @insightful

Keurig is great for your use, @bing, I just can’t get over how expensive the machines and cup packs are. It does seem to be the way to go if you and the wife just one one 10 oz cuppa and want different flavors.

@common_sense_answer, you can get plain old coffee at Starbucks if you want to. No fooling, really! That’s what I get when I have an early morning flight and there is a Starbucks inside the terminal.

1 Like

@common_sense_answer. Thank you for the information about McDonald’s​ coffee being highly regarded by Consumer Reports. Before I retired from the University where I was a faculty member, there were four of us old timers who called ourselves the Geezers’ Club. Coffee was 50¢ on campus, but we could go off campus to a McDonald’s and, with our senior citizens’ discount, we could get coffee for 25¢ a cup with free refills. We had our morning Geezers’ Club coffee break meeting with good coffee at a great price.

Yeah the pods are about 50 cents a cup if you buy the large cases and the machines are somewhere around $120. With our water, they only seem to last two years even with de-scaling every three months, but you can reasonably get the coffee you want anyway. The Bunn is in the closet for potential future use.

No offense, but I’m a little skeptical and suspicious of anybody who doesn’t start their morning drinking a gallon or two of coffee. :slight_smile:
CSA

2 Likes

Yikes, way too rich for my blood. Years ago, CR did a road-test on coffee makers. The inexpensive Mr. Coffee machines beat all the competition, regardless of price.

I’m on my third or fourth machine, now. I catch them on sale for 20 or 30 (delay timer model) bucks.

They are quick and easy and cheap. The coffee is just great.

I’m too thrifty for your style of coffee drinking. I make a pot for 50 cents and gripe about the price of coffee beans when they go up.
CSA :joy_cat:

1 Like

I can’t stand hazelnut in coffee either, one problem is that its taste is so overpowering that you can still taste it in the next pot of non-hazelnut coffee brewed in the coffee maker. A lot like root beer, once root beer syrup has been run through a soda fountain, that particular fountain can only be used for root beer. If you switch it to any other soda, you will taste the root beer that used to be in it. Its flavor is so overpowering.
It’s why supermarkets that sell bulk coffee beans have one grinder for unflavored coffee and another for flavored coffees.
It’s why most fast food joints will not fry french fries in the same deep fat fryer used to fry seafood.

2 Likes

I am another hazelnut hater, leaves a bad aftertaste, need to try some cold brew coffee one of these days. Have not tried the hazelnut cream cheese that seems to come with work birthday bagel treats, and the worst was when KFC was serving fried fish, and fried the chicken in the same oil, that was so bad of an idea, fishy chicken yuck,

1 Like

Hazelnut goes well with tuna and mayonnaise I’m told. I avoid mayo though ever since my restaurant days for some reason.

Back in the old days, the Shell station was where we went. Family friend. You got gas, tires, oil change, a limited supply of snacks, but they had all kinds of fishing lures and fishing and hunting supplies, and did outboard motor repair in the back. Plus they were one of the few places open on Sunday due to the blue laws.

A neat trick I have learned to do with brewing machines that use the Mr. Coffee style filters is to pre-rinse the filters before putting the coffee grounds in them. Just put the filter in the basket and then fill the basket full of water and let it drain through the filter.
After the water has drained out, then load the filter with coffee grounds and fill the water tank with water and brew.
A pre-rinsed coffee filter will not fold in and collapse while brewing, leaving you with a pot of coffee that has coffee grounds swimming in it.
Not that I haven’t enjoyed a cup of cowboy style coffee brewed in an enameled pot over a campfire.

3 Likes

I hate to be a drip, but could we bring this back to cars, please? Thanks!

Well, that makes 2 of us

I’m no fan of Budweiser and Miller . . . I rarely drink beer, but I prefer Coors over those other 2 you mentioned

Now I’ll get back to cars . . . sort of

I actually do NOT drink any coffee before I get in the car and head off to work. I leave the house at about 5:40AM, work starts at 6AM

Anyways, I get to work, put my lunch in the fridge and get the coffee going. I suppose I volunteered that task for myself. So it isn’t until maybe 6:20 that I start drinking coffee, but I do have several cups, all black. Some of the other guys add creamer, or even that hazelnut stuff which was mentioned earlier

Carolyn wants this to get back to cars . . .

All right

Which car manufacturer has/had the worst cup holders?

I don’t know all the cars out there, but I feel Benz had some of the worst. Overly complicated, too many moving parts, and they predictably broke often, and were expensive to replace

I remember when cars didn’t come with coffee cup holders, but they all had ash trays. I guess drinking coffee is the new smoking.

1 Like

So…then Benz’s approach to something as simple as cup holders is similar to their approach to virtually everything else in their cars?
:smirk:

2 Likes