A few questionns about what services/ parts changes, should be done routinely on car

I’m somewhat new to car maintanence and I have a NIssan Sentra S 07, 2.0 L that I wanted to know if I could get info on what things I should do to keep it in top shape besides the following…

The dealer told me a few things I should get done temporarily like like fuel system cleaning every 30km, then every 60-90km. My friend said it’s enough to just have the fuel filter replaced… Also a coolant drain and refill every 90km. An AC refresher kit that “cleans the evaporators to restore the cooling process, treatment of air ducts to improve air quality inside vehicle and replaces in car microfilter (cabin) with new microfilter”, every year. And for the air cabin filter to be replaced every 15km. Where is the air cabin filter located on this car? I only know about the air filter.

Also replacement of drive belt every 75-80km.

I just had it taken in about a month ago to the Nissan dealer and they did an inspection, but they didn’t mention the specifics of what they checked. Would I have to call and find out or could you guys say these things were mostly likely checked to see if in working order? Do all these services/replacement times sound accurate? I don’t want it to be just some form of marketing. Since my car odometer is at 98,174, and I have never had these services done or know when they were, should I take it in for the coolant drain and refill, the AC refresher and drive belt services?

I don’t really have experience checking these parts so I wouldn’t know to trust my gut or not… BTW does the “AC refrehser kit” really make a difference in air quality and does it make air blow out with more force than before (if anything was clogged per se?) What is done in a service like this exactly and could one do it themselves?

I bought my car used btw. My understanding is the life of a car is it’s parts, so there is never really a reason to buy a new vehicle as long as I can switch parts out, yes?

Much thanks!

Yes , there is a reason to buy a new vehicle . That way you can do the service that a previous owner of a used vehicle might not have done .

You do not need a dealer for this out of warranty vehicle . All I would do is coolant change , brake fluid change , have a tire shop check the tires for age and wear , transmission fluid change and maybe a new cabin air filter . Also look in your manual to see if you have a timing belt and when it should be replaced .

2 Likes

Read the owners manual for the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedules.

Most of the services you listed recommended by the dealer are high profit margin services that aren’t required.

Tester

8 Likes

What they said. Go through your owners manual and bring your car up to date on the recommended services. If you don’t know it was done, assume it wasn’t. This might result in most/all the fluids needing to be changed.

1 Like

Well, it does have a cvt trans. So, there is that.

Thankyou everyone! Is it enough for me to just top off the coolant to the max level (which is what I only did via a friends reccomendations) without changing the coolant that was in there previously? Or does it specifically need to be drained first? I checked my manual for this and it does not say if it needs to be one way or the other but it does mention alot more steps and knowledge/experience I do not have… https://ownersmanuals2.com/d/40524 on pg 35

No it is not . Did you not see where I said to change the coolant ? It is best to have it done so the the old coolant can be disposed of properly.

they do sell a test kit at your local Autopart’s store to test the quality of your coolant. but being you do not know when it was changed last it is better to just have it changed.

Instead of buying coolant test strips, buy a cheap multi-meter to check the coolant condition.

Tester

Stick around here and you’ll get lots of answers. Now back to oil changes. I was watching a failure analysis on a chain saw last night and one of the commenters claimed 20 years in engine rebuilding. Commented the 10k oil changes are nuts. Said 5000 max with good quality syn or 3000 with Dino. That is what I have always done. Cheap insurance. One of the posters here has done failure analysis so maybe will chime in.

I tend to pre emptively replace parts from back in the days where I drove 59k a year. 30k trans service, coolant 5 years, batteries, tire rotation, etc.

Well I’m not sure what you mean but I thought the video I remember watching said how to check old coolant just by color alone but anyways the manuals dont say how often to do these services or which or why as far as i can tell

https://ownersmanuals2.com/d/40524 pg. 33 and
PDF.js viewer pg. 244

I give up , just do what you want .

lol don’t take it personal. it’s about having having what works and why via comparison. nothing else

Color does not tell what acids are in the coolant or how much lubricant is left I believe. If you check the fine print in extended services, it will likely allude to length of time or call the dealer. Gm was about 5 years and Acura was 7 or 8. I can’t say how cars just sitting for a couple years changed the issue.

Where is extended services in those manuals? Yeah the dealer told me a few things on time periods, but I just want to get other opinions.

Look in the section that says what services are performed at what mileage and the foot notes. Might be a separate booklet where maintenance is recorded.

1.) Your dealer isn’t, and never will, tell you what services are “required”. He’ll be happy to recommend lots of services you can pay him to perform. Not remotely the same thing.

2.) Coolant wears out. It’s not water. Adding more doesn’t refresh it. Replace it with new coolant. Just like oil.

3.) Same with transmission fluid.

4.) Same with brake fluid.

All the other services recommended by the MANUFACTURER in your owner’s manual. EVERYTHING over and above that recommended by your dealer is just an attempt to separate you from your money.

2 Likes

You are the first to bring up oil changes, the Nissan oil change schedule is every 3750 miles, not 10,000 miles.

Thanks! Can you guys tell me if a dealer actually takes off a drive belt from a car and inspects to see if it has any microcracks or do they just look at it from afar and guess (inconsistent)? I was trying to talk to the service department at the dealer but am having problems with them giving me the run around. They can’t even tell me what exactly was covered in the 27 point inspection on my car, since they say they don’t have my file on their computers after 30 days after my vehcile has been taken in. Are they generally all the same anywhere you go? I see some other places online showings lists of what most deealers usually do. Anyways their rep mentioned to me they generally do look at coolant and drive belts… Do you guys think I should get my drive belt replaced or timing chain cosidering my 98,174 mileage? They said just to inspect a timing chain is 500 dollars.

Well when should I change those things out then? Should I just let those fluids run their course until there is close to none and refill it?

Would you change your oil on this basis? Would you just make up a number of miles to change your oil? Or would you check your owner’s manual (or a service manual) for a recommendation?

I’ve never done a flush and refill or drain and refill, so ultimately if it is needed it would be something I’d have to pay to get done regardless if I didn’t want to put in the extra work…

Yeah, that’s pretty much how everything works …