A/C troubles on 99 Accord

it happens. Happened to me last Friday (not on a Honda, however.) New parts person sent the wrong actuator. Looked it up in the book, and for whatever reason, sold me the wrong one. From the outside, they looked identical, but the wiring was different. Had i not inspected them closely, I would have not known the different until it didn’t work as anticipated.

and if a not so experienced DIY’er isn’t even sure what exactly they are asking for?? Or the parts counter is just a parts pusher?? yeah, I’d just about guarantee this happens quite often.

1 Like

???

Tester

It has been my experience that a great many parts guys do NOT know the difference between the various actuator motors, in regards to auto hvac systems

I’ve known many parts guys that refer to ALL actuator motors as “mode door actuator motors”

Can you imagine getting the correct part from a guy that doesn’t even use the correct terminology . . . ?!

Try explaining you want the actuator motor for fresh air/recirc door, mode door, blend door, etc.

Good luck . . .

3 Likes

I don’t know what the exact problem here is without hands on but it’s been my experience in the past that when multiple people are involved in the same problem then someone is missing something simple and obvious.

So I have one 2 part question. Is the compressor engaged and is the suction line cold? Simple yes or no to both will suffice.

Wait are we actually going to breech the subject of… “Can the wrong part be ordered and installed in the attempt to repair a problem without success?” …when both the order-er and order-ee aren’t fully on top of their game?"

The answer to that is a firm… “Oh hell yes”. Sometimes it can be great fun to witness these events and try to come up with the back story of how it all happens…where each wrong turn just continued on down the lane of “Mechanical Repair Confusion and Befuddlement” (this street name or lane does exist, its a real place not to be found on any map).

The only reason I know this is because many of the repairs I wind up taking on in the end have this kind of back story. 3 shops have had this car x number of times and days…and x amount has been spent and nobody can figure it out type of deal… The things I have seen, the trail of failures and confusion that took place are hard to ignore. Its almost a psychological study… A case to be cracked etc… Sometimes its great fun to solve these riddles…and it pays well.

2 Likes

True enough. Some years back a Subaru had a very loud noise in a manual trans. Brand new car with 10 miles on it and a warrantable problem. Car was promised back the same day. Trans on bench and reverse idler and driven gear both chipped badly.

Opened parts boxes. Wrong number of teeth. Parts dept. reordered overnight. Wrong again. I tell them they need to dig deeper no matter what the PC screen shows. Nope. Reordered a 3rd time overnight. And a 4th. And a 5th with the car owner getting riled up. Screen showed to be correct number but it was not. the right part.

FINALLY, the clowns behind the counter called in the Subaru parts rep who could not sort it out either. It took the rep over half a day on the phone before he discovered there had been a mid year production change in the reverse gear set. This change was a Made in Japan decision and no one there had bothered to tell anyone in the U.S. for some odd reason so all parts lookups were dead wrong physically but correct by the number.

Sixth time the correct parts finally arrived and the car was repaired with the correct info added to the parts system.

2 Likes

I’ve heard similar tales also @ok4450… definitely happens.

VW / Audi are famous for changes like this… Part ordering is a VIN number affair. How many of you know any of your VIN’s by heart? Sometimes that doesn’t even help you…

1 Like

In the case of the Subaru I mentioned the parts guys were ordering the right number and VIN was correct.
Their problem was that after being wrong twice and my telling them there was something weird going on they continued to overnight (at great expense) replacement parts 3 more times. Definition of insanity…

The Subaru rep kept telling me the parts being sent were correct. I just old him to start counting gear teeth and that threw him into a ball of confusion.

1 Like