A Bunch of Nonsensical Bullarky!

Hello!

I am having a repetitive nuisance of a problem with my 2004 Nissan Altima…it often decides that is does not want to work anymore and will shut off on me in mid-drive or will not start randomly. When it decides that it is taking the day off and not starting, I will let it sit for anywhere from 5 minutes to 1 hour (depending on its mood that day) and it starts right up! (The nerve.)

The SES light comes on frequently but when hooked up to the computer it alawys gives the same reason for repair… The Cam/Crank Shaft Sensor (not sure which one my car has).

I have replaced this sensor I believe 5 times in the last 6 months and nothing seems to solve the problem…the car will run smoothly for 1 day and then the light will come again and it will stop working yet again.

My car has 160,000 miles on it (yes, I like to drive a lot) with routine oil changes and tune ups…I am at my wits end with this… Help!!!

Please and thank you :slight_smile:

If your engine shuts off at highway speed my guess is a faulty ignition module.
If your engine shuts off at idle my guess is a bad battery post connection.

Most problems like this can usually be traced to a bad connection…

A failing fuel pump can also be an off and on thing with no set pattern as to when it will quit working. If the fuel filter has not been changed regularly then the pump should be even more suspect. And a pump will not set a code either.

As to the crank/cam sensor a code for that item does not mean that the specific part is bad. The code simply gives you a starting point for diagnosis so it’s possible the problem could be in the wiring, a connector, ECM plug, etc.

I had a 98 Olds that acted like this until I found out the battery was grounded only to the fender with a 10mm bolt. I ran a proper ground cable to the block and the problem went away .

You may be interesting in this article.
http://www.activetuning.com/blog2/2006/02/28/nissan-altima-crank-sensor-recall-being-reviewed/

It also provides the NHTSA recall number.