'99 merc's aftermarket anti theft wheels

rick,
Go back to the hubcap link texases posted, call their toll free number and ask how in hell to remove this cap.

Let us know how you make out.

roadrunner
hi thought I was alone

this is EXACTLY the hubcap shown FRD007A
except it has a aftermarket locking devise, which sandwichs the hubcap between two metal washer/things…both cover the lugnut pattern

this anti theft thing here is great in design…company probably went out of business because of the cheezy tube key

buying an angle grinder and wheel tomorrow to remove the plastic part and actually see what I’m dealing with

talked to some people on the island here and they agree using nitrogen to freeze each wheels locking nut and wacking with the cold chistle and sledge is the best bet

having never used nitrogen (but seen in bank robbery movies) this IS sold within 20miles of me

edit

I’m buying the angle grinder and cutting wheel tomorrow, does anyone think I should start by try grinding the head off this locking bolt, hopfully releasing the back ‘washer’ and letting the wheel cover as one piece (all4 are still going to the reclcle bin, as one peice or many)

Personally, I’d grind (cut) off the locking bolt, (and whatever else it takes). As you said, these are all destined for the bin.

One last time. You live near the ocean. Actually, ocean is all around your island, isn’t it? The air is filled 24/7 with salt. Salt corrodes and causes metal things to seize. Use a penetrant, like PB Blaster to loosen the locks.
Wouldn’t it be ironic that, after you butchered the wheels, you found out there was some simple, non-destructive, way to remove the hub-caps?!

yes the island is surrounded by the gulf of mexico
car has been here almost 2years
have used up three cans of penetrant, squirting every day for a about a week now
don’t think salt is a big factor, having lived 40yrs up north where salt is used on the roads to deal with snow…this place is surprisingly free of rust damage to cars

yes, it would indeed be ironic…if not down right belly-busting funny

hence my hesition about going at it caveman/grinder style

can’t even find a mobile arch welder around here…to arch weld a socket to each nut and get them out that way
surprising because this is a fishing community…expected that there would be welders traveling around in trucks…ala agriculture communities

edit
just got the name of a mobile welder…but befor talking to him, I have to wait for him to get done hunting deer=meat this weekend

If you’re going to have someone do any kind of arc welding on the vehicle, make sure the battery is disconnected first.

Tester

got the name of the hunting welder from a couple sheriff’s deputies I know from the fire dept

didn’t think about that battery deal…not sure the local bubba would have thought of it either

thanx tester

Dah tool: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMERICAN-TOOL-400-A-9-Pc-Hubcap-Wheel-Lock-Removal-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem250365783819QQitemZ250365783819QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

thanx hellokit
I’m familiar with these tools at NAPA
but the problem is a locking wheel cover, not locking lugnuts

although the previous owner WAS someone who wore a cowboy-buckle belt AND suspenders…
if I get the wheel cover off and discover locking lugnuts, I wouldn’t be surprized, but they’d be easily off

If you look closely at the ad, you’ll see that the tools are for the center hub cap, the plastic wheel cover nuts, and for lug nuts.
On your present key tool, if it has notches on the end which have become rounded, you could use a file and a hack saw to form new corners on the notches. Then, press inwards, very firmly, on the tool, as you turn the key tool.

hellokit
I keep looking at each of the tool attachments (and directions on the inside box cover) and see nothing that could help

before I buy an angle-grinder and wheel monday, I’m going to try a metal cutting hole saw(about 1/14-1/1/2")for a drill and see if I can saw around this center lock-bolt, these plate/washers things hopefully aren’t too thick
then I could leave anything left over the nut and still get the hub rim wheel off…trash the wheelcover/hubcap
30+yrs ago I’d have been through a couple of sledge hammers and the pickaxe by now
like they say’keep smiling’

edit-update
today tried a small cobalt drill bit, for going into hardened metal
the idea was to drill a small hole in the center of this bolt and then use an easy-out…I drilled and drilled and this bit does not make a mark on this locking bolt
due to the hardness of this bolt… I am looking at this brand-new angle grinder with hesitation
this is like a “larry the cable-guy” nightmare…without any humor

re=edit
tried grinding a small amount off the end off this “key”, hoping to get past the wore-out end back to original ‘press’ pattern not much lee-way
and it didn’t work, same slip out and off…where’s hercules when I need him?

sucess
used an angle grinder
with (numberous) Walter zip blades(metal cutting)
cut the wheel cover(s) off…
quite the design of these anti theft covers…except for the CHEEZY aluminum tool to unlock

thanx for the give-a-hoot guys
anyone want one of these wheel covers to hang on the wall…would be quite a conversation peice

I’m glad you had “success”. After you “removed” the first wheel cover, did you see a “new, and improved” way to remove the others? I’m not sure that the covers were “anti-theft” in design. The tool and attachment mechanism may just be for secure attachment, not anti-theft.

original and improved technique was cutting close to the outside diameter of the center “lock-bolt” (yes it was anti-theft) if you call having to cut the entire wheel cover off the vehicle to access the lugnut anti-theft (I do)
must confess after the (long “thought-out” plan of attack) start to finish, it was 5 minutes and each cover was off

the center lock bolt (male threads) connected to the female threads that was attached to seperate metal “dixie cup” deal (over dust cap) with its three “feet” that went drilled out to go over the lug bolts…held on by the lug nuts

I suck at descriptions…rather simple design…but poorly designed at the same time