99 dakota four wheel drive

when i put it in for wheel drive it wont engage is a switch or a fuse for this

I’m guessing this is an electronic engagement switch?

If it is, pull the switch and check the soldered connections for a loose wire or possible corrosion (from humidity).

You may have a fuse under the hood in a fuse/relay box that may be blown or just dirty. If blown, you’ll need to find out why. (a short?)

Another possibility is a bad electrical connection at the transfer case. Module?

If this is equipped with a floor mounted transfer case shifter, check linkages and possible associated switch.

I have only 2 plugs on the transfer case. I was told one is the range switch the other one is the selector switch is this corret could one or both be bad.

I’m no pro at this, but personally, I’d check out the selector switch wiring connections before replacing it. Same with the range switch.

BTW, why are you running a double post on the same subject?

sorry about running a double post im new at this and i dont know how to edit a question so i started a new post to better describe the problem

No problem.

When you want to edit, click on the ‘pencil’ icon at the far right end of your post.

How is the front axle engaged? My 2000 Blazer has push button switches for the transfer case, but the front axle is engaged by a vacuum actuator. If so, check for vacuum hose leaks. Some of the vacuum hoses on the Blazer are crumbling due to age. The problem with the 4wd turned out to be the switch that controlled vacuum to the actuator.

i dont have a pencil on the far right of the question in the yellow box i can only seem to edit my comments to questions that where i see the pencil if you can help me with this that would be great thanks.

Dakota,
When you type in a mistake in the ‘reply’ yellow window, you simply click on ‘edit’.

To edit the posted ‘reply’ (grey/white window) click on the now visible pencil at far right.