'98 Toyota Corrolla won't start

A few weeks ago, my Corrolla started having trouble starting. I would have to turn the key 4-5 times before the engine turned over. It didn’t seem like a battery problem because the lights on the dash would come on with the key in the ignition, and when the car finally did start, it would start up without a problem. The problem started as winter picked up steam, so I just figured it had something to do with the cold. (I know, I should have taken it in right away, hindsight is 20/20). So the last time I drove the car something new and terrible happened. When I turned the key to turn the car off, the engine didn’t stop. “Hmm,” I thought, “this can’t be good.” I turned the key off and on a few times and the engine finally shuddered to a stop. It didn’t sound good. Also I thought I noticed a faint electrical smell. Not good at all. This morning I tried turning the car on and I got nothing, no lights, no power door locks, nothing. Did the starter die? The ignition? It’s Saturday, and I’m taking the car in on Monday so I figured I’d get some brainstorming in before Monday morning. Thanks

What you describe sounds like a bad ignition switch.

Tester