98 Grand Cherokee V8 5.2 318. Was rolled

Hello. I just purchased 98 grand. For one reason. To use it to get a load of XJ parts. A 300 mile round trip towing a dump trailer of parts. Therefore, I don’t really care for the Grands. But it’s a V8. My questions are
If it was rolled on its side, oil in air filter. But fires up and drives fine. Where do I began to check again before setting out on my venture.
Guy said it was only on side for 45 mins and something about needing to grease something before moving into 4lo

Seems to me the bead busted on his tire and he flipped it. I tried to put air in it it leaked all around rim

** coolant sensor bad, is there transmission coolant fluid ?

Or is this coolant sensor flashing for radiator, just bc sensor is bad. Not bc It’s over heating how can I tell if it over heating other then reservoir tank

Lights flicker on Auto not regular. Fan for ac Works however on auto it acts like its getting a high power surge. The back hatch glass won’t shut is there a way to shut off the display light for it?

And it shifts pretty rough. I own a few straight 6 and they don’t whine as much as this when the take off from park. It sounds like it’s electric push/pull

All fluids must be checked sine you have NO idea if any spilled out or not. IF the engine continued to run during much of the 45 minutes the truck was on its side, I personally wouldn’t drive it to the grocery store. The engine’s bearings will be damaged 'cause engines aren’t designed to run on their sides and the bearings have been starved for oil.

The whine you hear may be power steering (oil leaked out) or may be transmission. By your description of symptoms, I’d guess the transmission was damaged. You can guess which is cheaper to replace.

As for the rear hatch, find the switch that is engaged when the hatch is closed and ground the wire to the frame somewhere so the light goes off.

Tow this thing, don’t drive it. It isn’t safe or reliable. It will leave you stranded if you try and drive it home.

1 Like

+1 to mustang’s post.

The engine’s bearings are lubricated via a “pickup tube” (like a straw) through which the oil pump pulls the oil from the pool in the pan and pumps it around the engine to the bearings. With the vehicle on its side, the end of that straw will have been out in the air, drawing no oil. The bearings will have been running dry. That’ll destroy the bearings for certain. Won’t do the cylinder walls any good either.

Would the engine run if the oil pressure drops to zero? Wouldn’t zero oil pressure signal the ECM to turn off the fuel pump?

The people I bought it from drove it home day of accident. And to me 50
miles away. I really only need it to get 250 miles round trip towing a
trailer. I have roadside on it for tonight’s trip in which they will tow
me 100 miles in the event I need them. I test drove it yesterday goes 70mph
no problem. Only things I’ve noticed is the coolant sensor bad light
dinging. I do need to check transmission fluid. Is there a transmission
coolant fluid. Or is the only coolant the radiator? Thank you

If you bought it for the parts, why are you trying to get it running?

I bought it to go get parts. It runs. I’m trying to be semi smart about
it. I’m getting Cherokee axles (4) transfer cases (3) transmissions (2)
engines (2) back hatches (3) and so on. I didn’t have a vehicle with a tow
package strong enough to pull a dump trailer. So. For $500 I bought this
grand with a v8 which is running currently. I am trying to be
precautionary and look it over good before settling out today to go get my
parts load in Maquoketa

A lot of this is hard to follow. Apparently the person has bought a lot of parts for a Jeep Wrangler ? XJ and needs to get them home. They have bought a wrecked vehicle that could go 10 miles or 10000 before dying. That means title transfer, insurance and then deciding to keep or not.

Why didn’t they just rent a small U-Haul box truck and be done with it?

How would I get engines transmission ect moved to back of box truck. Idw
to flip it being uneven distribution of weight. The dump trailer was most
ideal for a skid loader to place items in trailer evenly. Xj parts are
Cherokee only not grands Ill attempt it and see what happens. Thanks
everyone for your input

Theoretically there should be a rollover inertia switch that shuts the fuel pump off, but I understood the post to say that didn’t happen.

I didn’t think rollover inertia switches were required, or common.

But wouldn’t an ECM turn off the fuel pump if it sensed no oil pressure. That, or something that had that effect, has been standard for years, no?

Here’s my understanding of it:

When you turn the key to Run, the fuel pump runs for only a few seconds. Only when the engine starts does the fuel pump come on constantly. That happens because the running engine brings up oil pressure. The ECM senses there’s oil pressure and allows the fuel pump, therefore the engine, to run. If the oil pressure goes to zero, the ECM shuts off power to the fuel pump. It is a measure to reduce fires after a crash - as would an inertia switch.

From what our OP says, he was told the vehicle was on its side for 45 minutes, not that it was running during that time.

Where do you see this displayed? I am not aware of a “coolant sensor bad” warning message, you may see “Low coolant” or “Transmission temperature”.

You shouldn’t rely on the message center, refill the cooling system, engine oil, transmission, transfer case, axles and brake fluid as you would any other vehicle.

I don’t think that is the case. I do, however, believe Chevy had that feature years ago. In the early '80s, I rented a Cavalier that took several seconds of “grinding” to start and was told it had to build oil pressure before starting…somewhat annoying as my Fords at the time didn’t do this. My more recent Chevys and Hondas all start(ed) instantly.

Was on side. Not running. Just got to maquoketa. :slight_smile:

Both of those statements are correct. My '72 Vega shut the fuel pump off if the oil pressure dropped off. It was even documented in the owner’s manual. Or, now that I think about it, perhaps it was in the factory repair manual. I forget for certain.

I believe the rollover switch is mandated, but I’m uncertain. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this.

All I could find:

Wikipedia:
An inertial switch … is intended to disable an electric fuel pump in automotive applications. This functionality is required in some vehicle racing applications, since an electric fuel pump may otherwise continue operating after a collision or rollover.

Which implies that they are not mandated for all cars…

1 Like

The transmission is cooled by the oil (transmission fluid) being pumped through a small radiator in front of the actual radiator OR embedded IN the car’s radiator. There is no separate coolant.

1 Like