97 Mazda 626 2.5L fuel pump

When turning on the key in my 1997 Mazda 626 2.5L V6, no sound is coming from the fuel pump. I put 12 volts on the relay and it checked ok. I connected a jumper wire at the diagnostic box under the hood as stated in the Haynes manual. With the jumper wire connected and the key on the pump runs. The car will not start with the wire in though. I also check the resistance in the two electrical connectors that plug into the fuel rail. There was no resistance and no voltage. Could this be related to the fuel pump not operating? I recently replaced the head gaskets and after putting everything back together I double checked all of the electrical connections and everything seems to be connected properly. But when going to start the car I ran into the fuel pump issue. Any idea on where to go from here?

When you turn the key one click does the check engine light (meaning the PCM is powered up) come on?

You hot wired the fuel pump and the engine didn’t start. You still don’t know if the engine doesn’t start because of lack of fuel, fuel injection, or spark.
Spray Starting Fluid into the large black intake tube and try to start the engine. If the engine starts, the problem is fuel delivery from gas tank, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors.
Check that the fuel injectors are getting the signal to spray, by plugging a 'noid test light into a disconnected fuel injector electrical connector (two pins), cranking the engine, and watching for the flashes.
Check for spark.

Yes, check engine light does come on