96 Toyota Forerunner

3 Questions:

1. Is this a battery/starter problem? Sometimes my car will not start - thought it was the battery but windows etc work. I have to persistently turn key in ignition and then it starts-maybe. I leave it alone and come back and it starts. Is this a starter, switch, alternator , worse problem?
  2. I think the back axle is locked/frozen- how do you unlock?
    3 The rust on the undercarriage is significant and dangerous . I heard that this was a problem in Toyotas of this vintage and that there was a buyback program with the Toyota trucks. Other than the above problems it it is a good vehicle with a few more miles left in it but I am concerned about safety re: the frame. Is there any recourse w/ Toyota or do you just have to pray that it will not collapse? I can not sell it with this problem.

“The rust on the undercarriage is significant and dangerous”. " Other than the above problems it it is a good vehicle . . ."
With significant undercarriage rust that makes the vehicle dangerous to be on the road, it is no longer a good vehicle. Call the recycler and get what you can for scrap metal. The vehicle is 17 years old and I doubt that Toyota will buy it back.

new vehicle time.

@Foregone there was a inspection/buyback program for some of the earlier Tacomas and Tundras, I believe. But it has already expired.
What it amounted to was that trucks would be inspected and, if necessary, bought back up to 15 years from the original in-service date.
But I believe there was no program for the 4Runner.
Even if there was, it would be too late by now.

Sorry and good luck!

I concur with the other posters. It’s time to put the 4Runner out to pasture and get another vehicle.

Has a good mechanic gone over it? It could look worse than it is. And it sounds like you have the worn starter solenoid contacts common the these Toyotas.

But if the rust is bad it’s time to move on.

@Foregone “The rust on the undercarriage is significant and dangerous”. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

With rust at that stage, it’s time to move on. I hav scrapped 3 cars with that amount of rust and avoided a lot of problems. Most state inspection departments will not pass a car with significant rust.