4 Runner

We own a very nice 2001 Toyota 4 Runner. After sinking about $1600.00 into regular maintenance, we found out a few months later after taking it in for an unusual swaying in the rear end that the frame was cracked and rusted. The 4 Runners is built on the exact same frame as the Sequoia, Tundra and Tacoma all of which were recalled (model years 1999-2004) for cracked and rusting frames. We would like to know why Toyota didn’t include the 4 Runner. So far the only answer we can get from them is that they don’t plan to recall it.
In light of all the neglect that has come to the surface in recent months by automobile companies, I think Toyota needs to be reminded that thousands of this dangerous vehicle are still out on the street. Our vehicle is so bad our mechanic wouldn’t let us drive it home. I can’t make enough noise to get their attention by myself. I need your help.
Best Regards,
Susan Pope

Have you complained to the NHTSA? You can do it here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

Yep notify the feds is all you can do. Personally I’d rather have a bad ignition switch than a cracked frame.

All frames are not exactly alike even of the start out that way. Some frames of premium vehicles are treated differently even if the are constructed the same as other vehicles initially. That said, if enough complaints were not registered for a vehicle or owners didn’t complain the most, perhaps they weren’t included. At 13 years, it’s doubtful that in a rust area you will get any satisfaction. There are plenty of rusted out hulks out there from 2001 and newer. Rust; the car makers best friend. You are on your own. I have a 2004 and though I do what I can, I expect at some stage the vehicle will suffer the same fate as yours. It was just poor timing to have your frame rust just after the work. You have good reason tho now buy a new one. Without attention and even with it some times, they all rust !

Unfortunately, a formal complaint to NHTSA and to Toyota are all you can do.
If NHTSA gets enough complaints, Toyota may have no choice by to extend the recall to 4 Runners.

And auto manufacturers seem to be issuing recalls earlier than they used to now.