96 Nissan Sentra flashing airbag light

Two months ago when i started my car, my airbag light began flashing, and has not stopped since. There was no sudden stops right before, or no accidents in the last 5 years. what does this mean?

Your airbag system reads all its sensors at startup, and it’s telling you that at least one sensor seems to be giving values it shouldn’t. In other words, there’s a chance that your airbag system won’t work in a crash. You should have the dealer (or a very competent mechanic) check it out and repair it.

My guess is that the light is telling you there is a fault in the airbag system. I suggest you assume the system is DISABLED, and will not function in the event of a crash.

This is probably a dealer-only diagnosis and repair.

Also, some earlier airbag systems were only warranted to work for some period of time (such as 10 years), and should be replaced when their time is up. A '96 sounds a little late for this, as most manufacturers don’t worry about such time limits now. So, it’s possible that rather than something being wrong, it’s just that your airbag components have passed their “best used by” date. The manufacturer may or may not still recommend replacing them.

That  light is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Dont know about yours, but on some Fords the air bag light will flash a trouble code.

Example: flash flash pause flash flash would be a code 22.

Depending on the code the problem can be a simple DIY fix or a major pain.

In my case on my Ford the light flashed the code for “right side crash sensor”- & it was a simple fix.