96 Grand am struts and control arms bolts size

I need to replace both the struts and the control arm but I don’t have a socket to fit can any one tell me the correct size socket I need Thanks

I’m going to be honest with you.

If you don’t know the proper size socket(s) that are required for this repair?

You shouldn’t attempt this repair.

Because you would already have them.

Tester

The one you usually don’t have is an 18 MM. Tool terrorism strikes again.

And GM uses LOTS of 18mm (3/4")headed bolts. And 15mm (9/16") which is also a size sometimes omitted from Metric add-on sets. Same for 21mm (13/16") Ticks me off because if larger, they want to strip the heads and smaller doesn’t fit well.

BTW @yancey You also need a BIG breaker bar to remove the strut to knuckle bolts and a big torque wrench to tighten them to 133 ft-lbs.

See the attached link documenting strut replacement by a stone-cold amateur. Note he doesn’t say what size sockets to use but he is right about NOT removing the strut rod top nut.

http://www.virtualroadside.com/blog/index.php/2008/04/26/installing-monroe-quick-struts-on-my-grand-am/

@Tester

If you don’t know the proper size socket(s) that are required for this repair?

You shouldn’t attempt this repair.

Because you would already have them…

Wow. Give the guy a break. Just because he does not know the size of a fastener head or might not have the tool already does not mean he is clueless.
I have been swinging wrenches in one form another since the late 70’s and just the other day I needed yet another socket for a hub bearing. And that does not mean I should not have repaired my own vehicle.

An accumulation of tools is not an indicator of competence or skill.

Maybe Tester was being a little harsh but seriously, if the person has to go to a forum and ask complete strangers what size socket to use one would think the person is in over their head.

That’s all I’m saying!

Tester

Sounds like the first thing the OP needs to buy is a cheap caliper:

Hopefully the struts will be Quick Struts. A pure novice involved in strut disassembly with removal of the coil springs could turn out to be a very dangerous proposition.

I’m in agreement that it’s probably 18 MM; the mutant cousin of the 15 MM also used by Big Three auto makers.

Replacing the struts and control arms seems to be a big jump into unknown water for the OP. If anything goes wrong with the front end dismantled in the garage it will be difficult if not impossible for a wrecker to get the car out and to a shop.