95 ford e250 van trouble

I have a 95 e250 van-6cyl-- died on me while driving-lights and battery has full charge-I replaced fuel pump,distributor cap and button,and ignition coil- still won’t start- turns over but won’t fire-took spark plug wire off and didn’t get a spark-put test light to distributor and it has power-any suggestions?.. Ps. I am posting this for my husband in the hopes that this thing will live again and not become yard art. -Katy ( wife)

This van should be in the last years of the TFI ignition modules and those are always suspect.

Symtoms can vary but with a total lack of spark it’s possible that pulling codes and/or running the module tests may show the exact problem without guesswork.

I won’t go into the steps on pulling codes and module checks as that info is readily available on the internet and in garden variety shop manuals. These steps are not that difficult to do and in the event your husband does not want to go through those steps (which are really not 100% definitive) he could just replace the module and hope for the best.

In the event that the module turns out not to be the cause the next suspect would be the pickup in the distributor. In most cases it’s the module though. Hope that helps.

(This is all assuming the distributor is rotating with the engine.)

No spark, no run. That’s understandable. For a spark to occur, the ignition must detect that the engine is turning, and then close a switch to cause current to flow in the primary of the coil for a short time. Something must be wrong w/all that. Like said above, maybe the pickup which senses the engine is turning has failed. Or whatever causes current to flow in the primary coil has failed. Or the coil or something in the signal path to the plug has failed. There’s usually a capacitor (condenser) in all of this, and maybe it is that which has failed.

I believe OK hit it right on the head…Those Ignition modules INSIDE the distributor…OFTEN die…theyre inexpensive n ez to swap out… Start there…bet that solves the problem.

Do a resistance check on your coil first to see if shes ship shape…but those modules are so often the cause of a no spark situation…it was the very 1st thing i thought of…

Blackbird

The ignition module probably contains the gadget that detects the engine is rotating, and the gadget that turn on and off the primary coil current, so unless there is other evidence contrary, Blackbird’s comment is spot on. Replacing the distributor’s ignition module makes complete sense.