94 Toyota Corolla automatic tranny won't shift up

1994 Toyota Corolla w/ automatic transmission will not shift up. You can drive it and it will accelerate slowly, but the rpms get higher and higher without the car ever shifting gears. Any ideas what the problem could be. A checklist would be a lifesaver right now. Thanks

How many miles on it? When has the transmission fluid been changed?

It has around 140,000 on it. I am not the original owner so I don"t know when the fluid was changed last. It appeared to be clean and of normal color without a burnt smell.

I have a 99 corolla stick shift but I have the Haynes manual for both our cars. The manual is limited and only covers “routine maintenance” but it does tell me that shifting is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) Rockauto . com has them just under $300. It might be a good idea to get basic Code Reader so you can scan the computer for error codes (if the computer was totally dead, nothing would work, but it can fail in one area). I got a code reader from checker for $40. it comes with a book of codes but you can literally Google the codes once you have them. Also, the book says you have a 3 or 4 speed tranny, find out which, it may help. The 3 speed automatic is model A131L. It shifts by governor and throttle body (maybe no computer at all?) The 4 speed is A245E 4th gear is overdrive and this model shifts by computer (ECM) A-1 CARDONE Part # 721505. I have never worked on trannies but sometimes they come around with just a new trans filter and new fluid, can you limp it to a lube shop? Good luck.

Hard to say without actually looking at it but you can check the level of the fluid. I know you said the fluid color was good but was the level good? Check the level with the transmission hot and the car on a level surface. Since this is not an OBDII vehicle you can not use an OBDII code reader. You will need to take it to a transmission shop to be checked. NEVER, EVER let a fast lube place touch an automatic transmission. A lot of automatics which cross my bench on a weekly basis are there from improper servicing at some fast lube place. Take it to a TRANSMISSION shop and not a large chain transmission shop.

transman

Thank you for your help. The level was good. I will see what happens when the fluid is changed.

Alldata indicates that this transmission has a governor. If the governor drive gear is stripped or the governor valve is jammed with debris, that would give you no up shift condition.

I am sure that the transmission shop will check this. There may be a governor tap that would allow the transmission technician to measure the oil pressure being developed by the governor valve. Replacing the governor does not require removing the transmission although the left drive axle has to be removed.

Hope this helps.