94 Mustang: stalls and has hard starts

Im having trouble with my 94 GT Mustang with Manual Trans. It doesnt always want to start.

Problem 1:It turns over but doesnt start sometimes.

Problem 2: When I do get it started it sometimes stalls at a constant speed, then see Problem 1.

I dont always have these problems, some times it starts fine. Other than not starting and stalling, it runs/sounds normal, Except when it doesnt want to start.

When it doesnt want to start the fuel pump screams. Only when the pump stops making a noise the engine generally starts.

I took it to a mechanic and he said it was my fuel pump. So I gave him $400 for that, but I have the same problem!!!

Help

It sounds like the pump may be sucking air.

It does it no matter what the level of the fuel tank is.

What would make it suck air?

LOL at this point the whole car sucks! But thats besides the point.

I’m working on the same problem. 94 V6 manual trans. I’ve replaced the Idle Air Controller (IAC), fuel filter, and fuel pump without fixing the issue. Car works perfectly fine other than this issue…

The car starts fine after sitting a couple of hours/overnight. If you just turned it off (1-20 minutes ago), it wont start normally. You can give it some throttle while cranking and it it will start up sometimes: sometimes normally, sometimes really rough and lopey (near stalling and sputtering at low rpms) w/ smelly dirty exhaust then it dies, or sometimes really rough… and then it evens out.

I’ll let u know if I find the answer… Good Luck!

Heya check this out… I’m gonna investigate, cause it makes total sense in my case:

ODBII P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor is a thermistor screwed into a coolant passage in the cylinder head.

Symptoms of a P0118 could include:
Very poor fuel economy
A no start condition

I also have a P0125 reading (another ECT code)…

I’ve been having overheating while at idle issues (fan not acting appropriately), and I’m hoping replacing the sensor will solve both issues.

Also, I have a P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor

This could be causing the starting isse too, gonna swap out both sensors tomorrow, but I’m more confident in the ECT as the rough starting varies based upon engine temp. I’ll let u know how it goes

Ok, so good news: the no start/hard start condition when engine is hot has gone away!

Like I said, I beilieve that it was the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (ECT) that caused the problem.

I hope this helps! I was scratching my head for a while with this one…