93 tarus check engine light

Howdy, when i drive about 5 minutes light comes on and goes out when turn car off. Restart car no light but it comes back again in about 5 minutes.Fluids all currant and engine runs perfect any ideas? 49,000 miles on car. Air filter clean too.

See if you can pull any codes from the Engine Control Module (ECM). Borrow one from a local auto parts store. They will upload the codes off the code reader and print them out. Then they will help you figure out what to do. You can post the codes here, too. A 1993 car likely uses an OBD-I system, not an OBD-II system. Call ahead to make sure that they have a code reader for your Taurus. You can always get the codes read at a Ford dealer or an Indy with a code reader.

You need to pull the codes. This can be done with a VOM or a cheap code reader. The latter can be purchased for under 20 bucks? at AutoZone or even WalMart I think.

Wild guessing here, but considering the age of the car I would take a stab at EGR operation, or lack thereof.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

Regarding warning lights:

1. if the coolant temp light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

2. if the oil warning light comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

3. if a FLASHING MIL/CEL comes on, shut off the engine ASAP

ASAP means driving to the berm of the highway right now and not waiting for the next exit.

But if the MIL/CEL is not flashing, then it’s not an urgent indicator.

Hi had the codes run an none came up any other idas?

If the light came on, codes are set. These are held in memory even if light goes out. If the memory is not holding, then check the fuses. The trouble may be that the ECM is not able to retain codes because the memory circuit is not working.

Howdy took car to another shop they read codes- it was running rich. So added can of sea foam an drove the 8 gallions gas out. Had the codes cleared now an no check engine light. Yipee. Thanks for the info.