93 gmc sierra tranny work?'s

I replaced the tranny and still having same problem since replacing steering col.

still not able to get Drive and O/D.

could it be electrical …any ideas??

So wait - 1) you replace the steering column; 2) after that the truck wouldn’t go into D/OD; 3) so…you replaced the transmission? Do I have that right?

You also have to say what you mean by saying that you can’t get D or OD - can you put the shift lever in D? But then it only goes as high as 3rd gear or something?

Yes that is all correct.

Anything I say has to be a guess. Of course, most anything would be since you gave all of about 10 words to describe a transmission not working correctly. Other than sticking 1500 in the tag line you didn’t even say what engine you have or if its a 2 or 4WD. You also didn’t say what the replacement tranny is - used? rebuilt?

So for guessing here’s my first guess - the shifter must be on the column and you got the linkage hooked up wrong when you did the steering column so that inside of the car the shift position goes to D but on the transmission the switch doesn’t. Having your transmission give up the ghost right after replacing the column is way too much like a coincidence.

A second guess would be that you blew a fuse or relay while doing the column and the transmission is in limp mode.

Beyond that you should just get it on a scanner to see what the computer has to say about it.

ty…between you and the book… he got it figured out… too bad when I told him i thought it was the new column or how he put it in…that he didnt listen to me…could have saved him another tranny …sometimes hes a putz. I think its just really hard for him to admit that i have some auto-sence. The linkage was not right.

If “he” is an actual mechanic or something its probably time to find a new one. This whole thing sounds like it defies even common sense - where one doesn’t even need to know very much about cars to make a good guess on it.

This has to be the most extreme form of throwing a part at a problem that I’ve ever seen - although you wouldn’t be the first to have the transmission changed out for a problem that had nothing to do with the transmission itself.

lets go back to the drawing board… because it all goes together fine but the problem is still baffeling.

1st. the tranny went out and was changed out. 2nd. shifted through just fine but once its driving it doesnt actually shift. just low second and rev. and its a 4wd . 3rd. steering column needed to be replaced anyway. and he is still having the same problem.
the linkage is correct. the tranny is good.

its a 350 throttlebody 700r tranny

Now you’re saying something completely different from what you said before. I doubt anyone here will be able to make sense out of it. If it won’t shift past second it is in limp mode for some reason. I don’t know who has been working on it but you need to take it to a shop that specializes in transmissions.

OO…ooo… dang…it is supposed to be G4 not 700R. He is a good mechanic. Just computer irritated… and I get to be the middle man. Was the wrong tranny all together he hopes. but will switch out for correct one and see what happens.

What’s a G4? There’s a C4 but that’s a 3-speed Ford transmission.

You state the transmission is good? How do you know that for a fact, especially if this is a used unit?

I’m in agreement with cigroller that this entire thing is pretty hazy.

A good mechanic does not necessarily make a good [i]transmission[/i] tech. In fact, most mechanics, good or not, do not have specialized knowledge of automatic transmissions. I think that you will save yourself a lot of aggravation & time by getting a transmission tech on it.