93 Dodge Duster

I have a 3.0 V6 with 120000. Once the tranny warms up if I drop below 40 mph the trans “slams” into 2nd gear and stays there. I have to get back above 40-45 mph and shift into N then quickly turn it off then back on again. Resetting the computer maybe? but it shifts into the correct gear after that and is fine until I go below 40 again. any ideas?

Firstly, I’m not a tech. Just CMA is all.

I have a feeling the tranny is trying to put itself into the ‘limp mode’ to save itself.

What has me wondering is how it is you can get it up to 40-45mph and have it work after. Faulty shift solenoid? Speed sensor?

Me? I’d take it in to a reputable independent tranny tech/shop for an inspection.

If you go to a chain tranny shop, get two or three pro opinions/estimates before settling on a choice.
Most people here do not recommend using dealerships for tranny repairs (and a number of other jobs).

You could be right that by turning the key off and on you are re-setting the computer.

I only drive it to work so most of my driving is highway so I only have to do it 2-3 times. I paid 500 for it and its kind of my “beater” car so I don’t want to put too much into it, but if its something simple I will fix it. The tach will also “flutter” when I’m going down the highway shooting up and down when I’m going at a steady speed. I’m thinking its a sensor but I can’t find any info about it. I would call in and ask them but I work 3rd shift so I’m asleep when the show comes on.

Especially with the “tach flutter” it sounds like a bad speed sensor, probably on the transmission input shaft.