91 Integra lurches and cuts out violently

I have a 1991 Acura Integra LS with over 200K mi that I have had for about 4 years now. Everything was good until about a year ago, I was driving on the highway when the timing belt broke and the valves got bent because it is an interference engine. I took it to a local shop that rebuilt the top end. Ever since then the engine has had a problem.

When the engine is below about 2,500 rpm and the throttle pushed down past half way the car lurches and cuts out violently. I am concerned that this is doing damage to the engine or perhaps the transmission. When I put in premium gas the problem is reduced, it is less violent, happens only at lower RPM, or not at all. Lower octane on the other hand makes it much more noticeable.

So I would like to know what the problem might be, how can I fix it, and is it causing damage to my car.

A new fuel filter could help. And, a “fuel system cleaning”, also.

I have tried several brands of fuel injector cleaners with no change. Is that the cleaning your referring to? I will try a new filter.

A “fuel system cleaning” is more than a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. Here is a YouTube six minuet video which explains it. Ignore the recommendation, in the video, for an annual “fuel system cleaning”. Every five years might be ok, or when there are engine performance problems, such as yours.
An MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor, and an idle air control (iac) valve cleaning, are good to have done at the same time.