91 Honda Civic DX

ok thanks for advice on the t-belt. now what do i do to the car so it will pass smog check?

Again 1st and foremost, tune up. This has got to be step one.

Beyond that, all you’ve told us about it failing smog is that “the numbers are all over the map,” which doesn’t help us figure out why it’s failing smog in the first place. Tell us what those numbers are.

Hey guys is the car worth it?

just took it to a transmission shop & they said i probably need a new clutch & the transmission has some bad bearings plus the unknown that they might find when they open it up. pretty expensive job.

on top of that, I have to pass smog, & most likely change the timing belt, major tune up, possibly replace rusty fuel tank & fuel pump, and deal with whatever else comes up. forgot to mention that the seat belt light and bell flashes & dings all the time even though they are clipped in (Not a major thing, just annoying to hear the whole time u r driving).

Starting to get discouraged about this old car. Might be putting more $ into it then what its worth.

This is the type of car a shade tree mechanic needs to own. None of what you have said is a major issue (except the bearings in the trans), but if you are going to pay some one for the work it will add up fast. A major tune up in parts is what $50?? A clutch is $150… Timing belt and all other belts/water pump $150 or less… What are you buying for less then $500??? Like I said if you do the work yourself, the math works. Otherwise its going to get $$$$ VERY fast.

JEEZ LOUISE…Weeeelll Just like GSR said…if you do the work yourself sure its worth it… However… first…how did you encounter regsitration BACK due issues AFTER you Xfered it into your own name… In PA…thats an impossibility…bec the past due stuff would be billed to the prev owner WHILE he owned it and then tried to re-register…If you change vehicle ownership…NOTHING from the prior owner should haunt you…But methinks you live in CA…No? WHO KNOWS what that whacky state will try with that…

If I were you I would drive a tank of fuel thru the engine to get her “Blown Out” Once that has happened you may find that it passes smog rather easily and on its own…the other item/s that affect your emissions aside from good fresh fuel, PROPERLY functioning EGR valve, CLEAN air filter and good state of tune is the O2 sensors…But like I said get her Blown Out first…that engine needs to burn out the crapo in the engine and CAT from sitting so long…also changing the engine oil actually helps.

After it is blown out…there is a product you add to your fuel that guarantees to make you pass an emissions test…Now I have never used it, nor needed it…but its out there with a double your money back guarantee…Sounds silly No? Hey just letting you know… Blow 2 tanks of fuel thru this little car and add Fuel injector cleaner to each tank…THEN replace the plugs and do the tune up stuff…bet you will be fine if everything is in working order…

Blackbird

I agree with the other two. This is a good car for someone who can do the work themselves. It’s also a really good car to learn how to do such work yourself on, as the 4th gen civics are EASY to work on.

Were it mine, I’d dump the engine and tranny, get something more fun like a B18C+LSD tranny, and make myself a nice little sleeper. But that’s me, and I’m slightly insane when it comes to cars :wink:

@Chalex: (I guess that was redundant since you’ll see that I added this reply anyway)

Just reading through the posts and first off, you got a great deal. If you have to put $1000 into the car, you got a great deal, and Hell, as far as I’m concerned if you have to put $2000 into the car you got a great deal. This exact car at this exact mileage was the first car I ever worked on and looking back it was so so easy to work on, totally agree with shadowfax.

Sounds like you’re concerned about spending lots of money on this car. Well I agree with Blackbird that you should focus on the emissions first, the remainder of the car second. If you, as you said, drove it 55 to 65 on the freeway in third, I’d say it’s in good enough condition to work with especially if it’s free.

Now, I don’t want to try to get you in over your head here, but supposing you did get it to pass emissions how about trying a real hard-core repair? You sound like a guy with a can-do attitude, so here’s my pitch:

About a year and a half after I got my 91 Civic, and about a year after I first started working on it, I needed a new clutch as well. I was just a broke kid then, so I didn’t really want to take it in and decided I’d do it myself. It took a couple phone calls to my uncle, and extensive use of internet resources, and a three day rental of a transmission jack, but I did it! It was actually only the 4th or 5th repair I had ever done. So uh, since you have to drop the transmission to change the clutch, why not buy a used / reconditioned one while you’re at it? I just found one for $295, doesn’t sound bad to me.

Seriously though, don’t look this gift horse in the mouth! You got an awesome car for the best price in the world! Sure, it’s not going to help you pick up the ladies, but it will make a great grocery picker uper.

Additionally, don’t get this “new mom” syndrome as one of my older friends calls it. Don’t freak out about every little repair. I’d estimate that for about another 2k after your registration you’d be able to replace damn near everything on the car thats wearable / breakable assuming you did the work yourself.

Just take it by the numbers. Do the emissions, then deal with the rest. Don’t go taking it to every Midas, Car X, and Jethro Tull Automotive Emporium in the world and let them find something that wiggles and tell you it needs to be replaced. You seem interested in starting to work on cars, so get started! You couldn’t pick a better car to begin with.

thanks for all the encouragement. I got a bit stressed when the tranny place told me worst case would cost $2500 bucks.
yes my friend gave me the car but they did not keep current the registration or put it under non-op (according to the dmv) they thought it was filed under non-op & since they got a new car just left the old civic in the driveway. so here in CA (blackbird is correct) any past due fees are the responsibility of the new owner.

So I haven’t burn through 2 tanks of gas only 1 with treatment. I have the car up on blocks and have already started taking apart a few things. So as of now I cant drive the car. My plan is to give it a major tune up. I have bought spark plugs, wireset, air cleaner, fuel filter distributor cap, rotor, O2 sensor, oil filter, & oil. After i have done all that i was going to “blow it out” in hopes that will help.

My question to you all, is it a good idea to tune it up 1st then blow it out? My concern is that blowing it out before the tune up, I might burn out the catalytic converter. What do you think?

things i have taken apart: removed & cleaned the air cleaner cover & case, the distributor cap & rotor, & the O2 sensor.

so I have to install these new parts in order to get the car running again.

Do the work then drive it, there is no “blow out needed”, just drive it.

Yep dude, just drive it.

Then dive in on more repairs, you can do it, and it’s a sense of accomplishment rivaled by few others.

thanks will let you know how it turns out

ok finished everything. will drive it as much as i can tomorrow. have to check for leaks & make sure everything is ok. got to dark on me. will keep you posted. thanks again!!!

The “BLOW OUT” I am talking about is Just…DRIVE it…which will get things hot and moving again…it will clean out the “cobwebs” inside the engine…etc…LOL… You know what I mean…Just drive it mon! Then I’d tune up…Fuel injector cleaner is supposed to be harsh to the spark plugs…At least that’s the impression I have always been under…I think there is truth there…(I believe it puts an ashy deposit on the plugs…so do that to the OLD ones). so Blow her out (drive it), and then tune her up…And THEN…go drive some more… :wink:

Blackbird

is a bottle of techron good enough for fuel injector cleaner? If not, which do you recommend?

I have already done the tune up yesterday. I changed the oil & oil filter, spark plugs & wire-set, distributor cap & rotor, air cleaner, fuel filter, and the O2 sensor.

How much should I drive it before I take it to get smoged? I only have till the end of Jan. to get it to pass.

O, by the way, “cobwebs” shouldn’t be in quotes. There are a bunch of cobwebs all over the car. My daughter was afraid to get in because she thought a spider was going to crawl on her. No spiders though. Just dead ones and their webs.

found a 91 EF Si tranny. will this fit my civic. they said they would include a clutch as well. i dont understand anything about all the different types there are and i really dont want to get anything special. example i dont know what it means when it list ef si tranny or like shadowfax said he would install a B18C+LSD tranny.

so i put it back on the smog machine and the numbers looked good. hc=<10 & the co2 was <.5% thats good is it not?

could you give thoughts on the used tranny I found?

You have a '91 DX and you are asking if a '91 EF Si tranny is ok? I can’t answer that for you, so you need to do research to see if these are the same transmissions or not. If they aren’t the same, the switch might get complicated if some parts and mounts don’t line up and bolt up properly. The likelihood is that they match, but you’ll need someone to confirm it.

For instance the gear ratios 1 to 5 might not be the same and the final drive ratio could be different. Things can look the same on the outside and have different gear sets inside.