83 firebird rebuild-- yay or nay?

It wasn’t a model, @98caddy. But that was before there was an eBay. That was long before the www. But it’s strange that I recall the serial number on that Harley.

I thought it was a Hummer SUV as marketed by GM in the late 90s. Those would have been some big boxes!

Life is too short ! You know that time goes by 2.5 times faster when you mature then when you were a preteen. 1983 was the time to rebuild it, not now.

This looks like a fun project if you are planning on this car being a classic rebuild to drive a few years from now. It will take a lot of time and agrivation, trying to figure out what goes where. I just hope you look the pile over real good before handing any money to the seller.
You will most likely have to buy an entire engine from a junk yard, with all the manifolds, harness, linkage and anything else that was attached to the motor. Pullies and everything that they ran would have to come with the engine.
Then that engine may need rebuilding too. That would be costly also.
If this were a late 70s model…prior to the addition of all the anti pollution systems…then it would be even more fun.

I once bought a pile of Horse harness’s layng in a pile. I figured that at the price I’d be able to assemble harness for 6 horses. The price would have given me 4 sets to sell as a profit.
Remember the fad where everyone was selling the horse collars and hames with a mirror in the
hole where the horses neck went thru. Everybody bought one. Now you cannot find an old set of hames and collar anywhere.
Thats what someone used this pile for. THe person never took out the bolts and pins that attached all the leather straps…they just cut it all with a knife to get the hames.

I made just enough to walk away even…if that.

So be sure the disassembler didn’t just cut wires off at the harness…planning to parts out the vehicle.

@Yosemite - good points, but just know that the antipollution stuff really got going in '73 or so. There were a few really desirable Trans Ams after that, but they’d be big $$$$ now.

What was I thinking???
I meant late 60s Muscle car.

I had a 68 Satalite, 69 Roadrunner, and a 69 Dodge (Brain Fade) with a 440 6 pack.
I was a big fan of the big B body chrysler products.

When they made real muscle cars!!!

Very nice cars, I liked those Mopars too. I had one, a '72 Duster for years, but with the slant 6. Nothing power wise, but it ran forever.

If the finished car was going to be worth $30-$40-$50 thousand, sure go for it…But you will never get that kind of money for a 1983 'Bird…You will have trouble breaking even…

I forgot…I had a 70 Duster with a 318 .

We had a lot of Muscle cars in our town and us motor heads were always cruising our town or some town nearby. Then on Sundays we’d let one guy lead and we’d just go cruising to some town a couple hours away. Our road trips always included stopping by some fast food drive in for lunch and a rest. Then back home the leader would take us, usually by a different route. Somedays there were only 4 cars…other days we had 12 cars. We behaved ourselves pretty good, but the local cops were always there…thinking that we’d all be burning out and fishtailing all over. I don’t ever remember any of us getting pulled over, even though there were a few that squacked the tires a little as we left. We knew our cars were fast and we didn’t feel the need to prove it to anyone.
One of the guys knew a family that had closed their business of making whirlpools and he got them to rent us the factory. We painted lines to divide the floor space into 15 X 25 foot bays
and I think we had about 12 to 16 bays. We could keep all out tools there and work on our cars any evening and saturdays and sundays. There were only four guys with keys, and one had to be there to be sure nobody was working alone, borrowing tools, or doing anything that you were not supposed to. This was about 1973 to 1978, and I think we only paid $45 per month per stall.
We had great times there and some days there would be two guys working on their cars and a half dozen guys just hanging out.
Then as we all got a little older we all drifted apart, and I think I only see two or three of those guys once in a while anymore.