60,000 mile maintenance

According to the 2006 Scheduled Maintenance Guide, I am supposed to re-torque the propeller shaft bolt at 60,000 miles. I am also supposed to check the automatic transmission fluid, ball joints and dust covers, brake lines and hoses, brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs, drive belts, engine coolant, engine valve clearance, exhaust pipes and mountings, fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses, fuel tank cap gasket, radiator core and condenser, rear differential oil, steering gear box, and steering linkage and boots. How much of this stuff is REALLY necessary?

Except for the re-torque and engine valve clearance, not unusual for high mileage maintenance, the rest is part of a routine inspection… Is this DIY or dealer?

I plan to take it to the dealer, but if I have the dealer check all of this stuff, won’t it cost a small fortune? That’s why I wanted to know if all of this stuff is really necessary.

check your previous maintenance records…most of the visual inspections are done routinely…nothing is really necessary…part of preventative maintenance…and having a dealership that is honest.

Unless you have a Corolla that is equipped with All Wheel Drive (AWD), at least two of those procedures are not valid. The usual Front Wheel Drive (FWD) Corollas do not have a propeller shaft or a rear differential.

That being said, there is a VERY vital procedure that is not listed, namely the need to change the transmission fluid, rather than just checking it. Many manufacturers, in an effort to make their cars look “maintenance free” have dropped the all-important trans fluid change from their maintenance schedules. If you sell the car before it reaches 90k miles, this omission won’t matter to you, but it will impact greatly on the wallet of the next owner.

So–if you plan to keep this car beyond 90k miles, have that list of services performed by the mechanic of your choice. The dealership will charge far more than a good independent mechanic. Just be sure to add transmission servicing to the list. And, unless the car has AWD, forget about servicing the propeller shaft and the rear differential. Why pay for servicing components that don’t exist on your car?

For the sake of clarity, is this car FWD or AWD?

It’s front wheel drive, and I made a mistake. I must have accidentally copied the wrong section of the scheduled maintenance guide. I bet I copied the section that applies to trucks and SUVs. Ooops!

You sound like you really know what you’re talking about. Do you work on your own car?

Mike…

No, VDCdriver does not work on his own car, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Good one, BadaBing!

I used to work on my own car until back problems made that impossible, sad to say.

Edited to add:
I would recommend that the OP take another look at the correct 60k maintenance schedule for his car, because it should include several items beyond what he originally listed, and beyond my original recommendation.

At 60k miles, you should replace the air filter and the fuel filter.
Also, even if the maintenance schedule doesn’t list spark plug replacement for 60k, it should be done.

Yes, platinum plugs will last longer than 60k, but if you wait until 90k or 120k to replace them, they will be so “welded” in place that damage to the screw threads is likely to take place. This is another example of manufacturer’s attempts to make their cars look “maintenance free”, or at least “low maintenance”.

Additionally, if the car has a cabin air filter that has never been replaced, it should be done at 60k.

Well, you want this all ‘checked’, which just means somebody qualified looks at it to make sure there’s not a problem. I would find a good independent mechanic to do this (put in ‘mechanic finder’ on the search function above), he will likely charge quite a bit less than the dealer. Of course, if you’re selling it in a month, you could skip these, but if you plan to keep it, have it checked out.

Checking my 2007 Corolla, I find the following at 60,000 miles:

1. Replace cabin air filter
  2. Inspect fuel lines & connections, fuel tank vapor hoses, fuel tank cap & gaskets.
  3. Replace engine oil & filter
  4. Inspect air filter, replace if required
  5. Lubricate locks, latches & hinges
  6. Inspect coolant, transmision fluid
  7. Inspect all belts for damage
  8. Inspect ball joint dust covers, drive shaft and steering rack boots, chassis nuts & bolts for looseness and damage
  9. Inspect brakes linings, drums, pads & discs, lines & hoses
  10. Inspect exhaust system for mleaks or damage
  11. Rotate & inspect tires

My dealer wants $279.80 for all this, not bad, since it also includes changing the air filter and replacing the auto transmission fluid, a $89.95 service if done separately.

Please note, no driveshaft bolts to tighten; only for Highlander Hybrid & RAV 4

Thank you, everyone, for your great comments. For the record, this is what should really be done at 60,000 miles for a 2006 Toyota Corolla, according to the Toyota website:

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Rotate tires
Replace cabin air filter (if equipped)
Replace engine air filter
Tighten drive shaft bolt

Inspect the following:
Ball joints and dust covers
Brake lines and hoses
Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs 4
Drive belts 6
Drive shaft boots
Engine coolant
Engine valve clearance
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Front differential oil
Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
Fuel tank cap gasket
Radiator, condenser and/or intercooler
Steering gear box
Steering linkage and boots
Transmission fluid or oil

How was your inspections? Did you have all that parts listed like steering gear box,ront differential oil, brake pads checked if they are all in good condition?

I am now guessing that since that was a year ago, all the parts listed including steering gear box,ront differential oil, brake pads are in good condition. :slight_smile: