500 miles/week commute

It seems that I am going to be commuting 50miles/day, one way.

Should I upgrade my Integra with an Insight?

The Nissan Leaf won;t be out till Oct/Dec.

Thanks

If your Integra is holding up fine, economically it makes more sense to hang onto it despite the higher fuel consumption.

I’d Wait.

What model-year and how many miles on this Integra ?

My wife and both have made very long commutes. The distance you are talking about has been our average.

My thinking is that it doesn’t make sense to use a relatively expensive new car for long distance commutes. You will be driving probably 25,000 to 35,000 miles per year, just one person on board, and some of it in bad weather and in the dark.
This type of driving depreciates a car’s value very fast. Used cars or slightly used cars are perfect for this.

We keep cars for commuting and have others that we use when not commuting. Because of the distances we have driven and our rremote location, I have always had “back-up” cars ready to go. I didn’t have the option of not going to work.

If you can handle it, I’d get a second nice car and use it as you did the Integra and then go ahead and “use up” the Integra on the long-commute circuit. You’ve got some time before you need to do anything.

CSA

Your Integra is probably getting 30+ mpg. Keep driving it as long as you can. Why spend twenty or thirty thousand dollars?

Keep the Integra, you have a nice car.

How about finding a place closer to work?

I agree, you should be getting decent mpgs with the Integra. I wouldn’t think of a Leaf, its max range is 100 miles, often less. It’s a city car, not a long distance commuting car. Is it all freeway? A VW TDI might be an option if it is.

What mpgs do you get with the Integra? Year? Miles? Were you planning to get a new car anyway?

I have 2 of them:
1987 - 148k (gives 25k in the city)
2000 - 72k (slightly lower than above)

Which one should I use?
If I were to use the 1987 one, should I change the timing - its time now - but the belt looks new (Honda belt - done about 75k but over 10yrs since I last changed.)

Belts age, even if you can’t see it. Get a new belt if you intend to keep driving it.

If That 87 Is Dependable, That’s The One I’d “Use Up” Commuting. Having The Other One As A Back-Up Is Perfect. Save The Newer, Nicer 2000.

Replace the timing belt, water pump, tensioner / pulley, idler pulley, crankshaft and camshaft seals and flush the cooling system, too, if it’s been more than a year or so.

You can’t look at a timing belt and judge its condition. Ten years is plenty long. You can’t trust it, now.

Should you still be making this commute in a couple years then move the 2000 into the commuter car position and buy a new or newer back-up car.

CSA

“I have 2 of them…”

Perfect! Drive the 1987 most of the time. When it needs repairs, as all older cars will, drive the newer one. This will give you a chance to see if you can stand the long daily commute, and you won’t have to pay $20,000 up front.

And I would change the timing belt by the end of the year on the 2000 based on time. Are you going to do the work yourself? If so, replacing the water pump won’t be as much of an issue, but you do need to consider the decreased time you will have for maintenace work after your long commue starts.