4.7 WJ ECU plug connectors - how to fix?

Hi there,

The jeep year 2000 4.7 WJ

What is the best way to fix ECU WIRING HARNESS PLUG CONNECTORS?

Currently, connectors plastic fixators are broken, which might be the reason why the engine is stalling or not working properly. Because of the unstable connection and voltage loss for different engine components. So far we replaced different sensors and wires from ECU to sensors etc.

I am based in the EU so we are super limited with this kind of spare part. I was thinking to order from the USA, but not sure what is the best place for this?

Perhaps zip ties would be the temporary solution to make connectors stable?

If zip ties would stabilize it, I would do that to see if it solves your problems.

If you can access shipping to the EU… RockAuto has the connector.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2000,grand+cherokee,4.7l+v8,1381418,electrical-connector

I’d suggest ty-wraps in the interim rather than trying to find connectors in breaker’s yard. They would be 20 years old and brittle, too.

1 Like

Zip ties were my first thought, too. If you can isolate the problem to one or two connections within the bunch, you could splice in some longer wire and make those connections outside the big connector. Good luck!

Hey !

Could you explain what you mean by ’ you could splice in some longer wire and make those connections outside the big connector’?

Regards

It means that if you can’t secure the connector so it stays in place you eliminate the connector itself. This is done by using wire between each of the corresponding wires soldered and taped so they are insulated . But I suspect this may not be something you should try.

2 Likes

I have access to the Mopar replacement connector web site however the link does not work here.

The PCM connectors on your WJ may be 40 pin connectors, P/N 05013967AA and 05013968AA. You can search these P/N and see if they match your PCM connectors, they are $30 for the insulator and pin connector set.

BTW, you should not attempt to solder the engine harness to the computer.

Hey guys!

I have an update. Fortunately, we found connectors and installed them. Now all is good ‘electric and LPG wise’.

However when the car is driven the engine suddenly stops (not all the time though).
You can drive for 1h without issues and then later maybe for 20 min and then again for 1h. It is not stable.

To run the car again, you have to manually turn the engine and then it can be driven again.
If the engine dies, it gives crankshaft and camshaft sensor errors instantly. All those sensors have been replaced recently with original ones.

The mechanic said that it’s most likely the timing chain.

Would this be the case? Costs for the timing chain change along with all necessary parts around becomes costly work end of the day.

What do you think?

I think you have to have it diagnosed in failure mode. If you can replicate it well enough plan to stop by the shop when it ma go into failure mode. Had the wife stop at the shop every time she drove by, they were on alert and when it failed to start was diagnosed at the shop as a bad fuel pump.

How do you go in failure mode?

Like I said if you can replicate conditions well enough to figure when it might happen, stop by the shop. Sure wife did 5 or 6 stops at until it was in failure mode where they could diagnose and fix it, but beats what ifs or maybes for unneeded parts and labor.