Fuel injector issue

I have a 1999 Dodge Stratus in which I am having fuel injector issues with. A few weeks ago I replaced the #4 fuel injector with a new one and now the #4 fuel injector has failed again. What can cause this to happen?

It may not be the injector proper, but the circuit that fires it, the computer, the wires to it , or the plug on it.
More detailed testing is needed.

On a car that age the plug is most suspect. Heat and age will allow plastic to break. Then the little pigtails inside become loose and may lose contact.

I did not have a chance to check the wiring this morning due to weather and time but this afternoon I found that the internal parts of the plug had fallen out causing the injector to intermittently loose electrical contact until it finally became loose enough to completely loose contact. Thank you for your post. If you have any suggestions on how to replace the injector wiring harness without replacing the entire engine wiring harness would be most appreciated.

Many auto parts stores carry replacement wire plugs About 5-10 bucks each and splice them in.

I believe rockauto.com will have them too over the net. Injectors normally last hundreds of thousands of miles in my experience.

Further testing finds the wiring to be ok and that the issue is in the Engine Control Module. Does anybody have any tips for purchasing and installation of a replacement ECM?

@MikejP‌

That all depends

If the module needs to be 'married" to the vehicle, you might be wise to go to the dealer. Some, but not all, independent shops are set up to do this, especially if the module needs to be programmed.

I sure hope the guy that diagnosed the faulty module is 100% sure of his diagnosis

If you’re doing this yourself I think the answer is no. If I remember correctly your replacement ECM will need to be programmed to match your car. I think it’s as simple as entering the VIN and pinion factor (tire size), but you’re going to need a capable scan tool to do that. The little junky code readers won’t have that capability.

There are companies that fix these modules. You mail your broken one to them, they fix it, and mail it back. One of these companies is called Module Master as I recall. A Google search will reveal others. I have never used any of them but I’ve heard good reports here from others who have, at least in terms of finding someone knowledgeable on the phone to discuss the options.