38 MPG Hummer

One question comes to mind.
How DO you melt a polar bear?

Everytime I see an outlandish performance or fuel efficiency claim, my first reaction is “let me see the fine print”.

It’s quite possible that somewhere, this thing did get 38 mpg exactly once in a row by someone who was using every hypermiling technique in the book.

I also believe that a Tesla Roadster electric car will go 230 miles on a charge, if you drive at a steady 50 mph.

Maybe this will help you understand my point:

A Hummer that gets 377MPG is still an overgrown, obnoxious shoebox on wheels.

I’m sure it does get 38 MPH…

…when going downhill.

any car will get over 99.9 MPG(according to the instant mpg readout) if you let up off the gas pedal and coast

I have figured out how to do it!

1. Mr. Gentile buys a Hummer H3 with the 5 cylinder and stick (so it looks like you are trying to buy the most efficient Hummer out there). He will charge about 1,000 dollars for his time.
  2. He takes out the fuel injectors and writes “H2O” on them with a Sharpie. He then puts them back in. You now have water injection! This costs at least a few hundred dollars.
  3. He promises to deliver it to your house-which is a few hundred miles away. Home delivery costs a lot, but is “necessary”.
  4. He drives it onto the nearest interstate.
  5. He turns off the engine and coasts at whatever speed. However, the trip meter is still on.
  6. At your house, you see that he hasn’t filled up the tank but used very little gas!

It’s possible. An aquaintance with an E320 diesel Mercedes got in excess of 35mpg routinely. My 91 Honda Civic Si Hatchback cant do that, it’s between 30-32. It would take the 1.5litre Civic DX to match that. My 95 M3 presently averages 22 around town and 25 on the highway. The Mazda 3’s and the Protege before them come up around 29-30. If the SUV were Hybrid it most certainly can. The technology is already there. The problem is vision and commitment, not technology. The new EPA mileage rules will open the public’s eyes to the big business ripoff. Watch all the fancy cars come out with great mileage claims. Big 3 auto business does not have that vision, it must be forced to produce these cars via EPA rules. How sad indeed. It’s why Toyota ate their lunch.

I was a diesel mechanic in the military 10 years ago. I worked on alot of hummers. We could get about 20mpg with the tires overinflated, front driveshaft removed,3.1:1 ratio rear axle, 6.5liter turbo diesel with the smaller 6.2liter fuel injectors…
I cant see an intercooler and water injection adding that much to the total mpg, but changing to a 2.55:1 ratio axle could put it into the low 20s
Water injection is not bunk but it only works to help cool a turbo/supercharged inlet temp which allows for better fuel burn. remember that diesels have the fuel directly injected into the cylinders unlike gas engines that are premixed with air. the small amount of water added should not add any corrosion to the cylinders…