30k scheduled maintenance from dealer

I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot that just hit $30k. I want to keep my vehicle in good repair and so far there’ve been no problems. I want to know if there are some scheduled maintenance that are not necessary now and if/what could be done to save $ on the estimated costs.

1. Transmission service - take pan off replace fluid and filter est $215

2. Clean fuel system - clean injectors idle control and throttle $189

3.PCV value $140

4. Power steering flush $138

1. Yes, transmissions are not cheap. This is one of the few areas where I do not beieve the manufacturer or his engineers.
    2-4: are these really in the owner’s manual maintenance schedule? PCV part and labor sounds high, but I would change it if it is in the maintenance schedule. The others, in my view, are unnecessary at that mileage, especially clean fuel system. I have never flushed my power steering system unless I had to do a repair on the system. Don’t know if I am lucky, but my cars have gone as much 225K

Any good independent mechanic can do this maintenance, usually cheaper.

This sounds like a list of items put together by your dealer to make money from you. Open your owner’s manual, see what’s actually required at 30,000 miles, and find someone to do that instead.

As noted earlier, investigate items 2-4. Definitely do the transmission pan drop and filter change.

PCV valves can be had for usually less than $10 dollars. Consider changing it yourself.

Frankly I believe you would be very dollar foolish if you don’t get all the maintenance listed in the owner’s manual plus a transmission fluid and filter replace. However there is no law that says you need to have it done by the dealer.

Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

#2 reminds me of the Toyota dealers recommending adjusting rear brakes. They assume one or two things. First, that most people do not use their emergency brake, which is how the brakes are adjusted.

Second, that most people don’t know they are self-adjusting,

My Sienna has 173,000 miles and it shows no signs of needing fuel system cleaning. I did need work on the idle speed actuator some time back, but it certainly was not at 30,000 miles. This is possible, if there is a problem. Otherwise, I doubt it.

Someone said on a forum not long ago, he from time to time took off the cap of the steering system, sucked out old fluid with a turkey baster thingie, and added back, cost only the price of the correct, recommended fluid.

1. The consensus on the forum is that a 30k pan drop and filter is a good idea. My trusted local mechanic charges about ~$120 for this service. My wife’s Toyota is due for this service, I expect it will be more as I will be requesting he use Toyota OEM fluid.

2. If the Jeep is running fine there is no need for this service. I’ve had it done on my older cars. My mechanic uses the Motorvac system and charges ~$110 for the service. Usually I add a can of Seafoam or Chevron Techron once or twice a year to my vehicles.

3. Unless this is some special type of PCV valve, it should cost less than $10 and take a few minutes to replace.

4. Use a turkey baster or a siphon to remove as much PS fluid from the reservoir as possible. Top off with fresh fluid and run the engine to circulate the new fluid in the system. Repeat a few times and most of the old fluid should be replaced.

Ed B.

With the caveat that the tranny fluid should be exchanged now, on any car with an automatic. Should be done every 30k miles.

"1. Transmission service - take pan off replace fluid and filter est $215 "

If you have the CVT, the change interval under the severe schedule is at 60,000 miles. I have a 2008 Jeep Compass (with an identical maintenance schedule at the Patriot) and none of the above items were listed at the 30,000 interval.

"Frankly I believe you would be very dollar foolish if you don’t get all the maintenance listed in the owner’s manual plus a transmission fluid and filter replace. However there is no law that says you need to have it done by the dealer. "

None of the items listed by the OP are required according to the manual. If he has a manual transmission, then it’s recommended to be changed at 48,000 miles (60,000 miles for CVT) under the severe schedule.

The consensus on the board is to not go over 50K miles between transmission fluid changes. severe service or not. Actually, 30K miles is what’s recommended by the transmission experts on this forum.

Given the cost of a CVT+4 fluid change from the dealer, it would be cheaper to buy a used transmission when it finally goes out than change the fluid every 30,000 miles. I always drop the pan and change the filter on my automatics at 30k miles but changing the CVT is outside of my skill level and I was unable to find a single transmission shop in town that was willing to do it.

With the prohibitively expensive cost, I’m going to stick with the severe schedule in my manual.