$3000 dollars in the hole starting problems still persist!

My 2005 Mazda MPV Minivan has been having a strange issue that 4 visits to 1 repair shop and 1 visit visit to the dealership plus 3000+ dollars has NOT SOLVED!!! This only happens after the car has been sitting over night or for 10+ hours… I will turn the key and the engine will turn over, I release the key and the engine will sputter and the RPMs will drop to about 0 then kick up for a second and then the engine shuts off. MOST of the time it will start fine on the second try sometimes it can take a couple of shots. The problem however gets a little better with each repair for a time but gradually gets worse and then eventually won’t start at all… REPAIRS DONE:
1st time - Determined battery and connections - replaced
2nd time - 3 step fuel induction service kit / fuel pump module assembly
3rd time - Tune Up (All spark plugs) / Replaced air intake gaskets
4th time - Replaced Idler Air Control solenoid
Tested Fuel pressure on each occasion accept 1st time - Good
Unfortunately all of this has taken a total of 15+ days b/c the car is sitting over night to be tested the next day/ waiting on parts / etc

Is the Check engine light “on” ?

The next time the vehicle has sat for a while, turn the ignition on so the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition off.

Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine.

If the engine starts right up, it points to a problem with the anti drain-back valve on the fuel pump assembly.

Tester

2 Likes

No check engine lights or any others

Ok I will give that a shot in the morning… thanks!