2WD Trans Swap into a 4WD car

Hey guys, I was wondering. I have a 1997 Chevy Suburban. It a 2 wheel drive. I am trying to take the engine and transmission and swap it into a 1997 Chevy Tahoe, that is a 4, wheel drive. What are the complications if any. What would I need to do. Do I have to modify the 2WD drive shaft or can I use the existing on the 4WD drive shaft that is already on the Tahoe. In essence I’m just trying to swap a 2WD engine and trans, and put it into a 4WD shell.

Tester

OP is wanting the opposite, 4WD to 2WD

No I need a 2WD to a 4WD. But it is two different vehicles. I’m taking it out of one and putting in another.

You can use a GM OEM parts website to check which part numbers are the same between the two.

The engine should be the same. The only difference in the transmissions (IIRC) is the output shaft.

You could swap the output shafts, but if you’re going to open up the transmission, you might as well have it rebuilt at that point.

You’re going to have to open up and partially disassemble both transmissions to swap the parts from the 4wd trans into the 2wd and use the rear extension housing from the 4wd trans. You would be better off just reusing the 4wd trans.

1 Like

I think @asemaster has it right if you want to retain 4wd on the Tahoe. The tail housing of the the 4wd trans is made to connect to the 4wd transfer case.

If you don’t want to keep the 4wd, you just need a Tahoe 2wd driveshaft or have the Subby’s shortened. You’ll still have the front drive axle but it won’t function. The 4wd error message won’t go away, but it will drive OK.

This assumes the Subby is a 1/2 ton and not a 3/4 ton. That makes things a little more complicated.