2jz-GTE vs 1uz-FE

Hey there good people!
Me and my friend is planning to build our own car engine for swapping the engine in my friend’s Mitsubishi lancer. Our goal to make 1500hp at 10000RPM and push it as hard as possible. We currently have 2 engine option to tune- the 2jz GTE and the 1uz-FE. These two engines are currently available at our local performance tuning shop and the guys at the shop were telling us both the engines are powerful and capable enough for us already to make that amount of horsepower and they told that these two engines are one of those engines with huge aftermarket support. the 2jz is an inline-6 6cylinder engine while the 1uz is a v8 8cylinder engine. the engine displacement of the 1uz is also higher but the guys at the tuning shop confused us by saying both the engines are somewhat same. So I am here for the consult of you guys what engine we should go with.Our budget is 20k AUD around 13500usd.
Thanks

First off, I can’t even begin to help you in a million year’s worth of Sundays. However, I could add a few possibly relevant comments.
That 20K AUD may not be enough to accomplish that goal.

Assuming that goal is accomplished that brings up the weak link in the chain scenario. What are you going to do about the Lancer drivetrain?

At 1500 HP and 10K RPM (if it ever reached that) that engine will be a ticking time bomb more than likely. The former has a square bore design and the latter an oversquare.
While nothing is etched in stone, generally an undersquare engine will rev higher. Undersquare means a short stroke design and oversquare means long stroke.

Example. F1 race cars. Near 4 inches in bore with a 1.5 inch stroke and that is why they can rev to the moon. May need to shorten the stroke (not F1 style) to obtain 10k. Best of luck.

3 Likes

The Lancer is FWD with a transverse engine mounting… and a Mitsubishi. Neither Toyota engine you want to use will fit that way. You will need to completely refigure the car to fit that.

Your 20K AUD budget needs another zero.

3 Likes

I think that from 1973 to about 1982 the Lancer was front engine rear wheel drive. But it was never meant to handle that unrealistic poere these 2 guys want . Let alone ever accomphish with that budget . Plus I doubt if they even can get is certified for road use.

Let’s hope so, for the sake of the other folks who live Down Under.

Aussie registration requires that an engineer certify modified cars before road use

1 Like

1500 hp at 10K rpm? I have to say, that’s quite a challenge you’ve cut out for yourselves. No experience at all in this objective, but it seems like you’d have a better chance with an 8 cylinder engine with more displacement vs 6 with less displacement. I’m guessing you’d serve yourself better basing this plan on an engine from an American muscle car, like from a 400+ cu in Dodge Charger, something like that. Suggest you find a well-experienced shop who knows how to balance the rotating ass’y.

Do you have access to Hot Rod magazine (USA pub)? If so, they have articles on projects like this. See what they have to say first. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Okay

Okay.

Both are longitudinally mounted engines. Your Lancer requires a transversely mounted engine. So right off the bat, it’s clear you haven’t really put much research into this. With that said, in theory you could re-engineer the car in to make it happen. But it would be much easier to use a RWD car in the first place.

Yeah, both of those engines can be made to support over 1000 HP. It won’t be cheap, and reliability and practicality will go out the window. Did they tell you that neither engine will swap into your car realistically? If they left that bit out, then I’d question their competency

See what I mean?

Your budget is absurdly low for what you are proposing. If you want to stick with the Lancer, it’s going to have be basically gutted, and many, many one-off pieces will need to be fabricated in order to turn it into a RWD car so that either engine can be used. You’ll need to adapt another transmission as well, if you want to keep it AWD, then it’s just going to be more complex and expense. To do this correctly, you’re going to spend upwards of $80k-$100k AUD just to get the car right, then you’ll need to acquire the engine itself, the transmission, new cooling , new exhaust, likely a bespoke front and rear suspension, bigger brakes obviously, etc. You’re going to need probably another $60k-$85k AUD for that work.

And even then 1500 HP is big ask for a 1uz , and would be on the higher end of what a 2jz is going to tolerate. In either case, you’re probably not going see 10000 RPM. In both cases, you’ll need a pair of turbos, seriously beefed up internals, and drivability will be severely compromised.

1 Like

Fast forward to 2:50 for a glimpse of the future…

1 Like

Power output of the factory stock turbo 6 cylinder and the V-8 are about the same; 300 horsepower for later versions.

A 500 horsepower goal on a budget is reasonable, 1500 horsepower is a fantasy.

The 2JZ has a reputation for holding big power. Stock, it’s nothing special, but the factory stock internals are good for 700+ HP. 1000 HP is doable, but it won’t live long. But with aftermarket internals, 1300 HP isn’t out of the question at all. But yeah, their budget is comically insufficient for what they want.

1 Like

OP has left the building… :upside_down_face:
3.5 on the troll-o-meter.

2 Likes

+1
I put this thread in the same category as the ones that ask whether the OP should buy a new Lamborghini Aventador or a Bugatti Chiron. After considerable questioning, the OP finally reveals that he is 16 years old. In other words, both this thread and the ones to which I referred are simply adolescent fantasies being played-out online.

3 Likes

If I had the money to buy a new Lamborghini or Bugatti, I’d keep that fact secret, drive an old inexpensive car, and put the money into investments which can provide a lifetime of dividends and/or interest.

If I had extra cash apart from my investments and no debt then I would buy a super car. Mad money? You like cars? Buy something.

1 Like

A Lancer and 1500 HP (assuming that ever happened) should mean a tube chassis and a Ford 9" rear axle…

2 Likes

If the goal was simply to make 10,000 rpm, theoretically speaking, would that be easier with 8 or 6 cylinders?

The stroke would need to be shortened no matter the engine type. Sometimes a crankshaft can be offset ground but I seriously doubt the stroke could be shortened enough to accomplish it.
More than likely a crank would need to be created ($$$$) from scratch to do this…before the plethora of workarounds, headaches, and cash outlay even began.

1 Like