2021 Honda CR-V - Steering locked

Wife pulled out of alley to main street to the right. As she tried to straighten out the wheel she could not. The wheel was stuck in the right turn position. She ran up on the curb and into a gas station, hitting a parked car getting gas. Auto shop said they didn’t see any issues with the steering. Is there a way to find out what may have happened?

No, I don’t think there it any way to reconstruct this.

Was this “auto shop” a Honda dealer’s service department?
Has anyone considered the possibility that the engine stalled?

Everything on this vehicle is covered by the “basic” warranty for 3 years/36k miles (whichever comes first), so unless you have accumulated more than 36k miles on this 2 year old vehicle, diagnosis and repair of a steering-related problem would be covered–gratis. If it was actually a problem of the engine stalling, the 5 year/60k mile Powertrain Warranty would cover the diagnosis and repair of an engine problem.

But, an independent auto shop will not be able to do anything under the terms of the vehicle mfr’s warranty. The dealer’s service department is where you should go in order to resolve this issue.

There are software programs that allow access to a cars computer so see what conditions occurred prior to a certain event.

They’re called Event Recorders.

They’re mostly used to see what the conditions were in the vehicle prior to an accident.

Tester

did her brakes fail, too?

That was my first thought

2 Likes

I’m going with operator error.

2 Likes

Perhaps one of the wheels got too close to edge of road & got stuck in an unusually deep rain gutter. That situation can steer the car, sort of like it was on train tracks. Suggest to inspect location where it happened. Do you see any deep rain gutters where she was driving, or anything a tire could have got stuck in?