2020 Toyota Corolla - A few issues

Start button on 2020 corolla malfunctuons…ticming noise behind dash…horn sounding off on its own, in traffic.slow starting like a battery problem…

your vehicle is still under warranty. bring it to the dealer.

5 Likes

It amazes me how many people with new cars who don’t think to go to a dealer when they have a problem while the car is still under warranty. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I think its because they do not want to waste a day going their or they think they will be without a car for a few days and maybe they can fix it on their own. but they can always ask if they have a loaner car at the dealer.

1 Like

It also depends on how far one lives from the dealer.

Tester

4 Likes

You could make sure the connections at the battery are clean and tight.

If you disconnect the battery you will probably need to reset the radio using a code that is somewhere in the printed material that came with the car - so you’ll want to know that code before you dive in. For my Honda I wrote that number on the file folder I keep for that car, and on a post-it that’s stuck inside the glove compartment. (I’m not worried someone will steal the radio from a 1999 Honda.)

I would not do a battery disconnect on a 2020 Toyota. Let the dealer handle it.

2 Likes

Most times I’ve been to the dealer, they failed to recognize or properly repair the issue and it was a waste of time. Luckily all of my vehicles are out of warranty now anyway!

1 Like

+1
And, if they try to remedy their problem on their own, or by paying a mechanic to “fix” it, they could wind-up voiding their warranty.

1 Like

That has not been my experience for warranty work or just plain repair. Plus the vehicle is in a more secure spot rather than just setting out in the open .

1 Like

I’ve had this happen to me several times, and it’s really frustrating.

It would happen far less often if I could only speak with the mechanic beforehand. The liability-free description of the problem that the non-technical service writer enters on the repair order makes it difficult for many problems to be properly understood.

1 Like

I presume you mean “ticking” noise behind dash. That could be an hvac vent door problem. If it stops right away, could be normal, some sort of self-test. ABS self test can make a similar sound.

Horn sounding could be a problematic horn switch or horn relay, or an alarm system malfunction.

Explain more Wwhat do you mean by “in traffic slow starting”?

The standard battery/alternator test is to measure the battery voltage before first start of the day, should be about 12.6 volts. Then immediately after starting the engine, 13.5-15.5 volts.

This is not a post asking for help. It is one of those Carcomplaints things that end up here . The vehicle is under warranty - the battery has at least a 3 year warranty so no need to test it . The person just takes it to the dealer and hopes they can solve these problems.

3 Likes