2020 Subaru Outback - Seems to skip or slip

When driving, the car often seems to skip, as if the tires are not holding the road. It is inconsistent. Up hills. Down hills, Straight away. Smooth roads. Bumpy roads. Interstate. Local. 2020 Ascent. It has been happening since March of last year. Dealer is perplexed, because he cannot reproduce it.
Model will not accept ascent, so checked off Outback.

Are all 4 tires the same, and within 3/32 of tread depth from most to least tread??

Did this happen after work was done, tire rotated?

Any lights on the dash, how many miles on the vehicle?

I am not dure that this is the cause of your problem…

December 9, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V954000
Tie Rods May Separate
The tie rods may separate from the housing, causing a loss of steering control and increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V954000

Manufacturer Subaru of America, Inc.

Components STEERING

Potential Number of Units Affected 1,305

Summary

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2020 Ascent vehicles. Due to an incorrect tapered hole in the housing, the front tie rod ends may not fit properly. The improper fit can result in the tie rods and housings being deformed during assembly and service replacement if excessive torque is applied.

Remedy

Dealers will replace the left and right front tie rod ends and housings, free of charge. Owner notification letters were mailed February 7, 2022. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru’s number for this recall is WRL-21.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

1 Affected Product

Vehicle

MAKE MODEL YEAR
SUBARU ASCENT 2020

10 Associated Documents

Request Research (Services fees apply)

You did not mention if you hear a Clunk or rattle when going over bumps. but if you do then there is this that might give you that symptom

. 05-71-19R Subaru Technical Service Bulletin (tsbsearch.com)

If there is one, it is not noticeable. Problem—stutter, sputter, skip—can happen on any type of road.

Can also notice it after backing up and making a hard turn forward. Like, a K-turn. It moight happen on that initial move forward and feels like it is “doing its thing” behind the front wheels.

It has been a year since this began. Happened on old tires, and new tires. Cannot associate it with an alignment. Dealer just rotated, balanced and aligned vehicle, and it happened on the way back home.

Problem it, it is hard to reproduce the issues.

I presume the check engine light is not on, and there’s no diagnostic codes. I realize you said above the symptom occurred w/ both old and new tires. But I’m still guessing this is tire related. Make sure all four tires are the same model, have the same amount of rubber left, and no unusual wear patterns. Incorrect wheel alignment, especially toe-in, another idea.

Thanks for your input. This appears closer than what the dealer is trying to say. Called the number…told there was not a recall on anything on the car. Told them I was too young to die in a car wreck if the problem was a tie rod issue. So, I am expedited, and they will have someone call me about the issue. Of course, the initial suggestion was to just try another dealer for servicing. Thank-you again.

Tires are new. Had them rebalanced and a new alignment done again this week…and still have issues.

Check engine lite is not on. No codes to be found—was told this would only indicate an electrical problem and not something mechanical. Spoke with a rep who said that some 2020 Ascents have a tie rod issue…but as per the VIN number, there is no recall of this vehicle for the tie rods.
Their suggestion was to take it to another dealer to have the vehicle evaluated.
I am beginning to feel like “the dumb blonde.” Though, years ago, I had a vehicle with a similar experience of being placated. After 10,000 miles, the dealer agreed with me that the replacement engine—done at 5000 miles–was not installed properly and redid the engine again at an odometer reading of 15,000 miles.
Thanks for your suggestions…I welcome them all.

Why haven’t you elevated this to the corporate level?
I strongly suggest that you contact Subaru of America–via both phone and a certified letter–calmly and politely stating the facts, and firmly requesting that the Regional Service Supervisor inspect and diagnose your car’s problem. These folks can provide additional guidance to the dealership’s service department, and can “motivate” dealerships to…
finally… do what is necessary.

Contact information can be found in your Owner’s Manual.

I’d look at cvt trans too.

1 Like

Thanks. I think that it finally made corporate yesterday. Their first answer was to find another dealer to service the vehicle. Told them I was too young to die before this issue was resolved. Up to this point, their answers were logical—supply chain issues, unable to reproduce the problem. So, supposedly, they are to contact me by tomorrow. Also, threw a fit at the dealers on Tuesday. Not proud…but, over the dumb blonde issue, and I am not even blonde! Thanks again.

They have. Supposedly replace some part…obviously not the issue.

Thanks for your input.

Without a demonstration from the customer I wouldn’t know what to look for with a complaint like this, vehicle slips on dry pavement?

That is the reason you were told to take your vehicle to a different dealer, they don’t want your business.

No, corporate told me to take it to a different dealer.

Pavement—wet or dry; up, down or straight aways; smooth or bumpy; sometimes going backwrds as if trying to do a k-turn. Going fast or going slow…take your pick.
I know it is is hard to reproduce. At this point almost afraid to drive it.
I just want it fixed or to know it is safe to drive.
Thanks for all your input so, far. Someone out there must have had something similar.

Are you the only driver ? If not does anyone else notice this problem which I and others have no idea what you are experiencing .

It is really my husband’s car. He drives it around town—where it may or may not happen. I tend to drive it on trips–going long and hard. Still, it does not matter the speed, conditions, road surfaces, elevations, etc. And no, I have no idea if the RPMs increase when it happens. It is hard to drive and look at the rpms.

My go to vehicle is my GMC Denali.

You did not answer the question . Has he had this mystery ailment ?

You have or have not asked your husband if it happens to him?

I have to use more than ten words…so, the answer is yes.