2020 Subaru Outback - Seems to skip or slip

He is the more cautious driver. Uses cruise control when he can. And, it does happen to him. So, the answer is—wait for it–Yes.

K Turn ( Also called a 3 -point turn ) . Posted this because I have never heard the term K Turn .

I just can’t imagine what this skip or slip is.

When I was a Driver Ed student, back in the '60s, the term that was always used was “3 point turn”.
By the late '70s, I began to hear people use the term “K turn”.

Nor can I, but I also can’t imagine why someone would have gone back & forth with the dealer for one year without elevating the complaint to the corporate level… until very recently.

Before any kind of repair can begin you are going to have to be able to reproduce the problem reliably when someone from the shop is sitting next to you while you are driving. Bringing a car in and saying “sometimes it does X” isn’t going to help find the cause.

I don’t know why you’re talking about being too young to die because of a separated tie rod when you don’t even know if the tie rods are the source of your problem. Especially if your car isn’t covered under that recall.

If your current dealer isn’t able to send someone on a 15 minute test drive with you while you recreate the issue, call the next nearest dealer and explain your situation and ask them for help. Ultimately, no one is going to try to find the source of the problem until you can demonstrate it to them.

Because we were told the parts were on backorder and the vehicle was safe to drive. Remember, this was Mayor Pete’s never ending supply chain fiasco. Besides, I also had another vehicle drive. And, this dealer was over an hours drive…

So, now my patience has completely worn thin.

First of all the shortage was not caused by one person , a Pandamic was the major source of problems.

I am beginning to understand why you are not getting much help from the dealer .

1 Like

If your Subaru has had a 4-wheel alignment done, you could post the pre/post data sheet they probably gave you, post it here. If you shop didn’t give that data-sheet to you, go back and ask, they may have retained a copy.

Thanks. I fully well understand the need to reproduce the problem. Problem is that 15 minutes may not be long enough. Once it starts, it will persist for a period of time. And then, go away for sometime.

True, it may not be a tie rod. However, that may be better than having some other part malfunction on the Interstate.
Currently, I live in the farmlands and the next dealer may be another hour away.
I truly appreciate all of your help. I was just hoping someone else had a similar problem. Besides, my family will tell you electronics are not always my friend.
Tr

I will look for it. If it is not in the file, I will get it by next week. I also need to see their service record on the vehicle.

Thanks.

Here is the latest pre and post alignment done on 2/27. Hopefully, it comes with the e-mail.
Dropped off the vehicle yesterday for the dealer/service manager to drive around.

(Attachment schaub align.pdf is missing)

This is the alignment info from 2/27/2023.

(Attachment schaub align.pdf is missing)

If the car needed an alignment, and the alignment was corrected, that is great. However, I’m having a hard time connecting an alignment issue with the strange symptoms that you describe.

Your attachment did not take but it does not matter . The alignment did not solve this mystery problem so it is not revalent .

Might not be relevant also.

1 Like

Somebody requested the alignment data.

I had a hard time associating the two. But, was willing to send the info on.
Service at the dealer has the vehicle now to drive.

I agree.

Thanks.

I agree. But somebody was interested. Hopefully, they received the e-mail with the attachement.

You’d get better results if you post that sort of info so everyone here could see it. Click “reply”, then in the top row of icons look for an upward pointing arrow.

Your vehicle has a continuously variable transmission (CVT) rather than a traditional one with distinct gears. These transmissions give a different driving feel that takes some getting used to. It often feels like there is slippage in the drivetrain.This may be what you are experiencing.

2 Likes

I would love it to be that. But, this was not around for the first year or so. Started when we had the car for over a year. They thought it was the CVT initially—and did do a partial “rebuild” as they determined it did not need to be toatlly replaced. Probably got 20-30 miles on that before it came back. Though until our latest trip back from Branson, it was not as frequent.

It is truly weird…and the service manager is driving it for now to see if he can reproduce it.
Thanks again!