2020 Kia Soul - as good as a Honda or Toyota?

I am in search of a new or used car. I really like the kia 2020 Soul S . Is this a good investment and does it match up to Toyota or Honda value? Are there any complaints?
thanks in advance!

Cars are not an investment, they all lose money. An investment makes you money.

That said, check here for complaints… Carcomplaints.com

Be sure to look at earlier years of the Soul since the latest examples have little history.

Kia has a LONG warranty (10 years/100k miles) to the original buyer but that is reduced to 6/60 with a used purchase. Just be sure a do the maintenance required ON TIME and keep your receipts. Kia is very touchy about that if you make a warranty claim.

Thankyou! I know we all see things differently but I make money when I have a car! Appreciate your help

Very much!!!

1 Like

That does not make your car an investment, it makes it a necessary expense.

3 Likes

Kia quality and reliability have improved drastically over the last 10 years.

Unless you are looking to drive the car over 200,000 miles, a Kia would be as good a choice as a Toyota or a Honda. That goes for any Hyundai model as well. Toyotas are still the longest lived vehicles followed by Hondas.

However, avoid any model with a CVT transmission; many compact vehicles now have those, so I no longer recommend a Corolla for instance.

The new Corolla CVT has an actual fixed gear for first gear, then reverts to CVT for the rest of the “gear” shifting. Does this address a lot of the concerns about CVTs? Sounds like a good idea, and Toyota is more likely than most to get it right.

Appreciate your help! I work as a companion and would like a subcompact suv for that reason! Have a great day!!!

Maia

In the latest issue of Consumer Reports, they rate KIA as #9 (out of 30 car companies) overall in terms of reliability, and they note that the Soul model is the most reliable of KIA’s models.

In case you’re interested, here is the order of reliability in their rankings:
1–Lexus
2–Mazda
3–Toyota
4–Porsche
5–Genesis
6–Hyundai
7–Subaru
8–Dodge
9–KIA
10–Mini
11–Nissan
12–Honda
13–Infiniti
14–Audi
15–Lincoln
16–Ford
17–BMW
18–Buick
19–Chrysler
20–Mitsubishi
21–Mercedes-Benz
22–GMC
23–Tesla
24–Volvo
25–Chevrolet
26–Jeep
27–Volkswagen
28–Acura
29–Alfa Romeo
30–Cadillac

Conspicuously missing from the list are Fiat and Land Rover, but because of declining sales, there may not have been enough stats to be able to rate those perpetually-unreliable brands.

I have my suspicions about some of that list. Acura seems to be exceedingly low in the rankings, especially considering it’s more than twice as low as Honda, which is the same company. I don’t have an Acura anymore, but when I did, it was ridiculously cheap to keep on the road for any car, much less a luxury car.

3 Likes

Porsche as #4 and Dodge as #8 look kinda sketchy as well. And mini #10?

+1

without knowing what this list is, rankings are quite suspicious

I might presume this is “initial quality” list of some sort?

Acura would have scored somewhere around #10 or #11, if not for their extremely problem-plagued 2020 MDX model. The MDX was noted as having a LOT of problems with its in-car electronics, its power equipment, and its AWD system. The article warns about buying “new” models because of the inherent bugs, and I guess that the MDX is an example of that situation.