2020 Hyundai Kona has touchy brakes

The brakes on my 2020 Hyundai Kona with less than 1,000 miles on it are very touchy and grab when the pedal is barely pushed. The dealership says there is no way to address this issue. Anyone else have this problem?

It took me about 3 months to get used to “Touchy Brakes” in my 2010, Now I don’t even notice it.

You could test-drive another one on the lot to see if it’s the same way.

1 Like

Some cars have more boost than others, you will get used to it.

And another case where you wonder if this person even took a test drive .

3 Likes

Same on my wife’s 2012 Veloster. It’s a lot closer to the (extremely good) brakes on my MR2 than it is to my daily driver. Every time I drive that thing, the first stop is a lurch because I brake like I do in my car.

It’s probably completely normal and just something to get used to.

Our cars had standard drum brakes, my brother bought a brand new Ambassador convertible with power brakes, would nearly put us through the windshield until we adapted to the brakes.

When I replaced my 1988 Accord with a 2006 Toyo Matrix I had to get used to the touchier brakes.
Then I went to a 2017 Tucson and I had to get used to even touchier brakes.
I think if I went back to my first car, a 1976 Chevy Nova, I’d have to use both feet on the brake pedal.

I suppose there could be an unusual problem (for a new car) with the brake components. If I had that problem and a visual inspection didn’t turn anything up that’s obviously wrong, I’d probably use some 180 grit sandpaper to place some radial-directed scratches on the front rotors. It that seemed to help I’d remove the front pads and clean them up too. So you might ask your dealership to try that. New rotors come from the factory where they are made with an anti-rust coating on them. This coating is supposed to be thoroughly cleaned off the rotor before installing the brakes. Maybe that step wasn’t done. Of course if all the cars on the dealership lot does the same thing, the above is unlikely to work, you’ll just have to learn to live w/it.