2019 Nissan Murano - Differing pressures

Why do I have 36 tire psi on 3 tires and 38 psi on one tire? Is that dangerous? What can I do about it?

1 Like

The label on the door post will tell you the tire pressure each tire should have. If one or the other is low, fill it up and if high release some air until you meet the numbers on the label.

Unless you are significantly over or under inflated it shouldn’t be dangerous to drive, but either way and the life of the tires will suffer.

Air pressure might be a touch lower in the morning or higher after a long drive, but that is normal.

This car is under warranty, make sure you complete the recommended maintenance listed in your owners manual.

Rose , any tire store can set the tire pressure for you . And if you don’t know how to use the self service air pumps that many convenience stores and gas stations have there are tons of You Tube videos showing how to do it.
Also you should have a tire gauge so you can check the tires at least once a month .

The pressure spec for that vehicle is 33-35 psi depending on model and whether it’s a front or rear tire. 36 psi won’t hurt anything but 38 will make your tires wear more in the center of the tread and give you poorer traction. You really should have the tires at recommended pressure.

Not dangerous at all. Almost not worth even fixing, but you can easily bleed 2 psi out of the high one if you like.

2 Likes

I’ll wager a guess that these tire pressures were read off the dashboard display.
If the vehicle has been driven more than a mile the pressures are going to be higher (up to ~5 psi driving on the highway) than when the tires are cold.
Therefore the 38psi tire might be the one that’s right, and the others low.
The sun shining on a tire can raise it too.

Ideally, the OP should get an accurate gauge, check the tires first thing in the morning, once a month or so.
Alternately, read the dash display as soon as possible.
If one or more tires are low, and you don’t have your own pump, make a note of how many pounds to add.
Then drive to a gas station and add that many psi, keeping in mind tire pressures will be higher after driving.

Did you measure these pressures before driving? That is preferred. If you measured them after driving don’t lower the high tire’s pressure. Wait until you can measure them before doing any driving. 2 psi difference is not significant.

… and a lot. I check my pressures every month or so while the cars are in the garage. One summer morning while travelling my car was parked outside. The pressures on the sun-facing tires were measurably higher. I don’t remember how much, but it seemed significant to me at the time.

1 Like