2019 Mercedes-Benz GLE - Stiff Ride

Recommended tire pressure is 44 front, 47 rear. The ride is too stiff.
The vehicle is a AMG GLE43.

You bought an AMG Mercedes and apparently you did not test drive it. It is a performance vehicle and it is doing just what it was designed for.

5 Likes

I have owned several AMG’s, so yes, I knew what I was buying. Thought maybe deflating the tires a few lbs might improve the ride.

Dropping a few will improve the ride but it will also affect handling, wear out the tires faster, add to the risk damaging the rims on potholes, heat the tires up more with highway driving and reduce the load capacity of the tires.

I would not recommend doing that.

2 Likes

You didn’t address the question that @VOLVO_V70 asked

DID you test drive the vehicle before throwing your money on the table . . . ?

If no . . . then you didn’t know what you were buying

If the vehicle isn’t comfortable for you in stock configuration and the correct tire pressures . . . then you essentially bought a vehicle that is wrong for you

7 Likes

One of two performance-minded models, the AMG GLE 43 comes with an AMG-tuned air suspension, adaptive dampers, a performance-tuned all-wheel drive system, an AMG body kit, 20-inch alloy wheels,
you have had amg models before. you did not compare a base model gle and an amg?

What do you drive, a Volvo?

db4690 is a former Mercedes mechanic.
:+1:

Do you have the 20" or 21" wheels? If the 21", you could get the 20" for a bit better ride.

2 Likes

I actually have the same problem with my AMG E63-S
The ride is downright harsh even in comfort mode.
My Front 2 tires are Continental 255/40/ZR19.
My Rear 2 tires are Continental 285/30/ZR19.
The recommended tire pressure on all 4 is 49psi for my car.

That said,

1. Check your gas cap cover (Gas door) it should have a sticker inside of it with a set of recommend tire pressures based on the weight and speed at which you intend to travel
  2. Try to play around with your suspension settings
    Check and see if you select the stiffness level if it makes a change for you.
  3. Check out mbworld to see if you can switch tires to a different width or hight.
    I have heard someone say that switching tires helped.

Oh congratulations on the purchase.

A follow-up question to all
Let’s say OP Mercedes Amg is AWD and has LSD (limited slip diff)
Would changing the width or height of the tire changing the aspect ratio effect the AWD or LSD

Last year, I was a passenger in a MB taxi, not a fancy model by any measure, but after half a mile, I had to ask the driver if there wasn’t any springs in that car as I was bouncing around in my seat and my back protested over the abuse. He told me that there were 3 levels he could choose between. I asked him to put it in comfort mode.
Off course it was in comfort mode allready. No new MB’s for me. I’d take a w123 or w124 any time. Much better comfort.

1 Like

was it top gear that had a G63 doing a 0-100-0 sprint pulling a 8000lb trailer? thing was actually pretty quick. said it was like driving a freight train.

I remember the W123 and W124 very well

Things have come a long way since then . . . and not all for the better

Neither of those cars handled very well, in my opinion, yet I don’t recall them having a stiff ride, either

Since @Lewis didn’t answer Volvo’s question as to whether he actually test drove the vehicle before buying it, I’ll assume he didn’t . . . unless I hear otherwise

amg is a division of benz that builds sporty vehicles

Last time I looked, if you want a smooth ride, you don’t buy an amg , m-series, etc.

1 Like

OP, suggest to inquire at a MB dealership what they recommend for this situation. I expect their recommended solution is to change the tires and/or wheels to something different than you have now. Lowering the tire pressure anything more than maybe just slightly below the car’s spec, not such a good idea. But I’m thinking a change out of the tire and/or wheels will do the trick.

Seriously . . . ?! :thinking:

You REALLY think the Benz dealer is going to advise the owner of a 2019 Benz to put the vehicle into a non-stock configuration . . . ?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You continue to amaze me . . . :dizzy_face:

Preparation H?

Some late model performance vehicles have a label warning not to use a different from original equipment wheel size.

Vehicle owners change their wheels from stock but not with the approval of the car dealers. With high performance brake systems there isn’t much clearance for smaller wheels.

The dealership personnel will most likely explain that the stiff ride is normal for the specific vehicle that op purchased

Then they may very well advise op to either live with it or trade it in for a different model

The only way to know for certain is to ask.

Again . . . you REALLY believe they’re going to give the kind of advice you were talking about?

No offense, but I don’t think you’re being realistic

not at all

That would be like walking into a Burger King restaurant and the manager tells you that McDonald’s makes better burgers, so you should try them out instead

Also not going to happen