2019 Hyundai Genesis - Vibration problems

Have you taken a close look at the tires? I wrote many estimates for tire replacement that noted exposed steel belts but people focus on the tread depth measurement and drive on.

Hi, update on my 2019 vibration, there is a service bulletin that came out September 6 2021, about the vibration problem on the G80, they have ordered a new rear drive shaft, shims and a special tool for driveshaft alignment, etc… that should be in in about 3 weeks… my car vibrates so much it’s been parked for the last 6 weeks.

3 Likes

Thank you for getting back to us.

1 Like

Update ,new driveshaft was installed , shims, etc, they test drove it and it was still shaking, they balanced my new winter tires and new winter wheels with only 10,000km, apparently they were all out of balance, they aligned my car witch was done 16,000 km ago by Genesis, apparently it was out of alignement in the rear.,I got the call car is ready, I picked it up and insisted on a test drive with staff, the car still shakes , at 54 km/hr it was noticeable, all the way to 100 km/hr and more…, they rescheduled to inquire some more next month… until then my car is still parked and not being used… keep posted,

1 Like

Thanks for the update, there must still remain something amiss. Vibrations are usually caused by something that rotates that is out of balance, not rotating freely, or play at the rotation’s pivot point. If the vibration is worse the faster you go, that’s a clue the problematic part is something that is rotating only when the car is moving. If it vibrates even at idle, in neutral, the problematic part is something in the engine, or the engine/transmission mounts.

agreed, I suggested that my rear yoke might be out of center or other. garage mentioned rear brakes maybe , so, I’m putting new rear rotors and pads next week. we’ll see… the saga continues…

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180991-0001.pdf

here’s the bulletin

Update, my G80 has no vibration at idle the V8 is smooth, last week the dealer installed 4 new wheels/tires from a new Genesis in stock and test drove it, it still had a vibration, they removed the front drive shaft and drove it, it still had a vibration but less (they said) , they ordered a new front drive shaft (back ordered) and will install it once it arrives. .They admitted that they have replaced many rear drive shafts, some front drive shafts, and that some Genesis still had a vibration problem after all that. to follow,

Back when I was a poor college student I owned a 1966 Fleetwood. It had a 2 part driveshaft that became unbalanced. It was still drivable, but noticeable at highway speeds (which I rarely ever did). Someone told me about this place that specialized in drive balancing. Took caddy there and they came back with an estimate of $1,000.00. I only paid $100 for the Caddy I wasn’t about to pay 10 times more than what the vehicle was worth. Drove for another year and sold car for $150.

Wish it was that easy for me, it’s my second vibrating G80 the first new one I sold after 12 months and lost 20k , the one I have now vibrates even worse, but since it’s still under warranty I’m not giving up.

Why in the world would you buy another one ?

1 Like

I liked the car, I thought they can’t all have a vibration problem. I was wrong, it was between a Cadillac CT5 or CT6 and a Genesis G80,I had owned both, I liked both , I should have went with the Caddy,

Front drive shaft was replaced, the car still vibrates, Genesis is still working on fixing the problem…

I don’t know how your car is configured drive-shaft-wise, but if it has a conventional driveshaft from the transmission to the rear axle (like standard rear wheel drive vehicles, pickup trucks and the like), some of those configurations use a carrier bearing to support the driveshaft at the mid-way point. If your car uses that part, ask your shop to double check it working correctly and correctly positioned. You can use the forum search feature here to see what others have said about carrier bearings and vibrations, link upper right this page.

Hi, the car is AWD, there is a service bulletin about the vibration problem, https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180991-0001.pdf, the dealer installed 2 new driveshafts, front and rear, they check the angles, new tires were road force balanced, they rebalanced them, 2 aligments, all at my cost…they tried another set of mounted tires from a new car on the lot, etc…the car still vibrates a lot, the Dealer said they are out of options , this week an engenier from Genesis is coming to verify and decide what to do with my car… I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

I think that’s to Hyundai’s great credit that they take your concern seriously.

Those driveshaft angles can come into play on other vehicles too. Especially on trucks when the owner decides to raise or lower them, if the change in the driveshaft angles are not considered carefully, vibration problems can occur.