2019 Civic Won't Start

Problem began when I would sometimes have to press the push start button several times to get it to start (no crank), progressively got worse until it wouldn’t start. When I would jump it it wouldn’t start right away but eventually it would. Replaced (5 year old) battery), initially still wouldn’t start until jumped. Car then started fine for 4-5 days and I thought it was fixed until symptoms returned and again progressively got worse. Now I can’t get it to start even when jumped. Notes:

When it won’t start it doesn’t crank at at all, it acts as if the button is not being pushed.

There is an animation on my dash when you get in and shut door - if you don’t try to start the car the animation finishes. If you push start before it finishes the animation cuts off. So the car is at least partially recognizing the button push.

Thought maybe key fob issue but when I try to start without the fob it doesn’t react the same - it says “hold fob next to start”. I have two fobs; and the remote start feature also will not work to start car when it’s not starting normally. Fob functions (door lock) always work fine.

When it won’t start it also will not let me push the start button for auxillary power (to roll down windows etc) so doesn’t seem to be the starter.

When it won’t start there are no other symtoms of weak battery, headlights etc all come on and are strong.

The car never ever fails to shut off when I hit the button.

Once I get it to start one time I can shut it off and it will start right back up on the first push an infinite number of times. I can drive it for a while and shut it off and when restarting it works every time first try. The problem only occurs when the car sits for a while - overnight or even during an 8 hour workday.

Seems to be battery power related/battery draining or not charging properly but don’t understand how with a new battery it won’t even start when jumped/battery charged. Is there possibly some sort of sensor that will not allow it to start if it recognizes a battery charging issue?

Stumped, any advice is greatly appreciated.

I don’t know about all the other stuff. I think the dealer is going to need to run diagnostic on it to see if it is the bottom or whatever else is in the circuit. But when you have to hold the fob by the button normally means the fob battery needs to be replaced.

Even while holding the fob next to the button it will not start, apologies if I was not clear. When I have the fob in the car it does not tell me “hold fob next to button” like it does when I don’t have the fob in the car. Thanks

Sounds like a time to take it to the dealer issue. Heard of people having trouble if memory maintainer was not used while changing a battery.

Sounds like you were dealing with worn starter solenoid contacts for a while, now the starter won’t operate at all.

Check for power at the starter solenoid connector after pressing the start button. If there is power at the wire for 5 to 10 seconds after pressing the start button, everything is working except for the starter.

3 Likes

+1 for above…

Nevada beat me to it… Check the starter signal (small) wire at the starter for power while hitting the button and applying the brakes… It will take 2 people or some long test wire, or one of my favorites, a simple backup alarm, it will beep when it gets power…

Everybody wants to jump and check this and that, or start throwing parts at it, check to see if the starter is getting power…

You can also move the shifter to neutral to see if it helps any if an automatic, or if manual, make sure the floor mat or anything is not under the pedal keeping it from going all the way (floor) to the clutch safety switch…

Try cleaning the connections at both ebds of the battery ground wire.

1 Like

How many wires go into the push button? That is, does it have multiple separate functions? Your variety of diagnostic answers seems to indicate that.

I’m going with @oldtimer-11 classic symptoms of loose/dirty battery connections

1 Like

Describe the animation that flashes. You can identify it in the user’s manual. Tell us hat it is and that will help us help you.

I didn’t think to look at starter since the accessory power also will not come on when pushing the start button without applying brake. I will look into it to be sure though, thanks.

It does sound like a battery connection problem to me also, but if there were no obvious visible problems with the connections, my first step if I had that problem, I’d measure the voltage at the starter motor’s B+ and S terminals while I’m attempting to crank the engine. Similar to Nevada’s idea above The results of that measurement would likely guide what to test next.

Safety Caution: That starter motor measurement could be dangerous. If inexperienced/uncertain in auto repair techniques, hire a shop to do it for you.

Bing may have hit on it. Are the fob batteries so weak that the car is not knowing when they’re there?

Holding the fob to the button only works for a period of time. New battery in the fob would help. Button cell cr2032 should be at most stores.