2019 Accord Touring

Hey, Everyone! Need feedback on the 2019 Honda Accord 2.0 Touring model. My nephew and wife are looking at this model. It’s a beautiful car (white with light beige leather interior) and has sport rims to jazz it up. It’s loaded and the price is 37k. Is this car one of the best for their money? They prefer a sedan, not SUV. Thanks for feedback!

Test drive it and see if you like it , Honda used to be a pretty reliable car . Myself I won’t buy one with a CVT transmission in it . I’ve seen enough complaints about them and I have driven a Nissan with one to know I don’t want one. Also the maintenance seems to be more often on CVT’s . If you are happy with the test drive then go for it .

There are tons of car review site on the internet. Edmunfpds.com, kbb.com, Consumer Reports and others. Read up, and good luck.

1 Like

Best for their money ? I would imagine that might be if that is what they want . The real question is have they asked your opinion ? The best for the money would be something cheap and decent transportation but very few people want that.

1 Like

Honda has fallen in reliability rankings. If this is the 2.0 Turbo GDI engine, then some have gas dilution issues esp in cold climate. Also the CVT transmission is a potential weak link.
BUT, there is not point buying something they don’t like just because it is ranked better.
The car will come with a warranty and they will have plenty of time to figure it out.
Point in case, I recently bought a used 2018 RAV4 for our family. The car felt noisy to us and was uncomfortable. Prior to this we had a Hyundai Tucson. I might be crazy, but I think that was a better car. At this point we are done with the RAV and going to replace it with a Tucson soon. Obviously at a loss, but then life is short.

Yes, he asked. I agree with you, but both like the styling and believe Honda makes a top quality vehicle. The hesitation is probably just the idea another vehicle might be better. I don’t think they have test driven others. Yet.

I have a 2017 Accord EX-L sedan, and I am very happy with it. It uses a 2L engine and a CVT transmission. Note that this is the last generation, and the engine is not turbocharged. My previous car was a 2005 Accord EX V6, the equivalent of the turbocharged 2L engine in this generation. The power difference is noticeable, but it doesn’t bother me. The CVT transmission is also fine. The 1.5L base engine in the new generation will be not be underpowered.

Your nephew happened to choose the most expensive Accord available. A 2L EX-L is $2000 more than a 1.5L EX-L. That’s two grand just for the drive train. Is it worth it? They have to decide. Some people might be concerned about the reliability of the Honda CVT, but the 10-speed auto used on the the 2L is brand new in this generation. I’d have an issue with that one, too. Actually, that is one of the reasons I didn’t wait a few weeks for the 2018 Accord.

I also found the EX-L to have all the luxury I wanted. Touring adds adaptive suspension, internet access, redundant digital speedometer, heads up display, integrated navigation, and rain detecting wipers. None of those are particularly compelling extras for a family sedan.

It’s up to them how much they want to pay, but much of the difference between the EX-L and the Touring are superfluous IMO. If they want the active safety systems, it seems that the Touring is the only way to get it. I’m not interested in the active safety systems yet since they are so new, but your nephew and his wife may insist on it.

Thank you for your advice and knowledge! I’ll share with him.

I sometimes walk past a Honda dealership on my walk-a-bouts, and they usually have 3 or 4 Accords in the front row for passerby’s like me to take a look-see. Which I do, at least to the point of reading the sheet of paper pasted to the window for what engine and options they have. I’d guess it would be hard to go wrong buying an Accord; but to increase the odds of a reliable ride I’d chose the smaller of the 3 engines, the non-turbo engine. I think even that engine uses direct injection, which seems to be increasing more common even in widely sold base models. I’d also choose the manual transmission myself, but the automatic (CVT seems to be the only automatic option on that car) is likely ok too. The only other thing I noticed is that I don’t particularly like the Accord’s styling, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If the buyer likes the styling, that’s all that matters.

2019 Acura TLX Technology package has a similar MSRP and $9100 in lease cash. This money is supplied by Acura and applies only to a lease. There may also be a $1000 conquest rebate and a discount. Compare the two cars and decide.

And then you’ve leased a car and own nothing at the end of the lease and have to start all over.

Also, I don’t consider $43,000 to be “similar” to $34,000.

3 Likes

The July 2019 Car and Driver has a - quite laudatory - article about the 2018 Accord EX-L they drove and tested for 40,028 miles.

1 Like

I was impressed that the C&D Accord averaged around 30 mpg, and could do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds, I think. That was sports/muscle car territory a few years ago, while getting the fuel economy of a compact car.

There are two engines, the 1.5L with the CVT and the 2.0L with the 10 speed, both turbos. Are you including the hybrid? It does have a 2.0L non-turbo, but I’d avoid that, Honda has a poor record with hybrids.

1 Like

If you are still watching the post AudiFlyGuy, here is a review of that car. My opinion, having tested every car in the class, is that there are two that are the best. This Accord with the 2.0T engine, and the Mazda6 Signature (review here.) I prefer the Mazda, since, like some above mention, the Accords I have owned did not have great quality.

1 Like

Good point. I saw 2019’s w/ the 2L non-turbo engine from reading the sheet of paper on the window, but didn’t realize that engine is only available on the hybrid. A person could get a bad case of cognitive dissonance if they wanted an Accord w/ both the non-turbo and the non-hybrid. Similar to a person who likes Robert Redford, but dislikes Meryl Steep, and is confronted with the movie Out of Africa :wink:

Does anybody else think it’s a little unusual all the Accord engine options are turbos? I can see a turbo for the 2L option if you want a car w/ 250 HP; but you are forced w/the complexities of a turbo engine even if you just want an econobox to take the kids to their soccer match? Sigh, goes with modern life I guess.

The Honda Fit is an econobox, the Accord is classified by the EPA as a large car. Did the price on the Monroney label suggest that it was an econobox?

I consider Accords through Fits, and Camry’s through Yaris’s all widely sold econoboxes. I think the label price was around $25 - $35k, that’s in the econobox ball park for new cars these days.

You and I have very different definitions of what an econobox is.

1 Like

$23,700 base price seems pretty economical.