2018 Toyota Camry drive mode doesn’t match dash readout

Hi Ray,
My 2018 Camry XLE has three drive modes: Eco, Normal, and Sport. When selected, the dashboard shows Eco or Sport but not Normal. When Normal is select, the screen shows Eco. The Dealer says that’s how is supposed to be. I also called an 800 number for Toyota and the answer was the same. But since the person who answered had to check the owner’s manual for her answer, I don’t trust her answer. To be fair to her, the manual shows an arrow towards the dashboard screen which includes Eco and Sport, but not Normal. I guess that’s why she said that that’s the norm. Ok, but why should it show Eco when Normal is selected? If Normal needs not be shown, why does it show Eco when Normal is selected.
Thanks,
Manuel

I do not know the answer, but what I would do is
1- Check your owner’s manual
2- Go to the dealership and check another XLE (probably a used one on the lot) and see what are the settings like.

“Normal” mode is not displayed in the instrument cluster, only “Eco Mode” and “Sport” are displayed however the “Eco” driving indicator light will illuminate during light throttle/cruise when in normal mode. The “Eco” light and the “Eco Mode” are in different locations, two different indicators.

1 Like

That sounds confusing, might be simple but there’s got to be some explanation or else will cause confusion especially for beginners.

New cars are very confusing, and there is little consistency between manufacturers about these indicators. Try not to spend too much time looking at all the flashing lights and displays. Lots of new cars are in accidents because of distracted driving.

I bought a new 2010 Kia Forte SX 6 speed M/T. I have not been able to fully adjust to the technology in 8 years! With every Electronic Fuel Injected (EFI) vehicle I have owned I turn the key on and pressurize the fuel system before starting. During that 2 to 3 seconds I check the dash warning lights to ensure they are functional and glance at the instrument panel every few minutes when driving, If I am listening to the radio and an annoying commercial comes on I have already turned the volume down with the knob before I remember the mute button on my steering wheel. Decades of muscle memory are very difficult to overcome. On the rare occasion that I drive an A/T for the first 2 or 3 start/stops I am pushing air with my left foot and reaching for the shift lever.