2018 Nissan Rogue - Noisy seat

Power seat - Whenever vehicle is started or shut off and the seat slides forward of back, the power seat makes an annoying, obnoxious noise… I thought something was stuck in the track but now I think it’s the motor going out. Guy at the local dealership said it just needed grease. He appears to be incorrect. Any thoughts? Thoughts?

I too think that suggestion is without merit.
Instead of that “guy”, have either an independent mechanic or the dealership diagnose the actual problem. Yes, there will be a diagnosis fee, either might waive the fee if they perform the repair.

Still under warranty? Let them try it, if they find it was not the problem they will go to the next fix,

Continuing the discussion from 2018 Nissan Rogue - Noisy seat:

2020 Rogue Sport SV. My driver’s side electric seat has been making a loud schreeching noise when moving it forward or back. Took it to the dealership. Once I described the issue my service coordinator immediately said they have had several customers with same problem and it requires replacing the seat rails and motor. My car is at 38k miles . Waranty ended at 36k. I purchased an extended warranty but the parts needed are not covered. $1,600 to fix. Why? appears this has been a known defect for several years.

Instead of just talking with the folks at the dealership, I strongly suggest that you speak with people at Nissan’s corporate level. Contact info can be found in your Owner’s Manual.

Be sure to keep the conversation civil, and DO NOT say that you would never buy a Nissan again. Instead, tell them how much you love the car :smirk:, and that you’re very disappointed that this problem arose right after the cessation of warranty coverage.

If you’re willing to invest a few minutes in a phone call (with a follow-up letter), you just might luck-out. When I had a problem with broken interior trim pieces on my Taurus (after the warranty expired), Ford went 50/50 with me on the cost of replacing those trim pieces.

2 Likes

$1600 to replace the rails the seat slides on and the electric motor that moves it back and forth seems about what I’d expect at a dealership. You could have probably got a lower price by hiring an independent shop to do it. Warranties cover what the say they cover, and nothing else. Apparently your extended warranty doesn’t cover this problem. Some makers apparently boast 10 year “drivetrain” warranties; but those warranties might only cover a defective crankshaft, connecting rod, or piston – parts that seldom fail b/c of a manufacturing defect. They might not cover a part that is a fairly frequent failure item by reports here, like a failed variable valve timing actuator for example.

If this is a known defect there might a recall or customer interest bulletin. Suggest to ask the dealership. It’s possible there isn’t one now, but one may be issued in the future, so keep all your paperwork. I expect a lot would depend on whether this could be a safety problem or not.